Archived - Update For Demo Fusor

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
charlie_mccartney

Archived - Update For Demo Fusor

Post by charlie_mccartney »

I am in the beta stage of my demo fusor, I still have a while to go but I am making process.

Currently I have:
(2) Huntington EV-150 Right Angle Bellows Valves
4 Way Huntington CF 2.75" Cross
CF 2.75" to KF-25 Adapter
KF-25 Bellows Hose
2004A Alcatel Pump with MicroTorr 11-D Diffusion Pump
CF 2.75" Blank
CF 2.75" to 1/8" NPT Adapter
1 Gallon of LDS19
100 cc of LDS-704
15kv 30ma NST
7.5 amp Variac
Metering System (created by Richard Hull)

I still need either an adapter for my HV feed-through or another one, and a view-port as the one I have is some kind of custom CF flange. I would like to thank everyone who had helped me get to this point and especially Mike Veldman who has donated the majority of my vacuum parts.
My inside table of vacuum parts
My inside table of vacuum parts
image (6).jpg
image (8).jpg
image (9).jpg
image (10).jpg
image (11).jpg
image (12).jpg
image (13).jpg
image (14).jpg
Charlie McCartney
charlie.mccartney1104@gmail.com
charliespersonalproject.weebly.com
Richard Hull

Re: Update For Demo Fusor

Post by Richard Hull »

Nice collection of goodies! good luck. I think that right after the sphere, the flanged "T" is probably the second most favored professional vacuum chamber used in a real fusion attempt.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
charlie_mccartney

It was a truly amazing donation by Mike Veldman, unfortunately it is a custom sized CF flange for which I cannot find any adapters or flanges.
Charlie McCartney
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Bummer dude! But........Free is free and where there is a will, there is a way.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
charlie_mccartney

I am thinking about finding a laser scanner and recreating three mating flanges, then welding standard sized CF flanges onto that in order to make my own adapter. I would also have to find or make three custom copper gaskets. However I do plan on using this chamber as my final fusor chamber. Another option in my mind would be cutting off the flanges and TIG welding standard size flanges on in the place, in Texas there is a massive amount of engineering ranging from industrial to home-made so finding a welder wouldn't be a challenge. Let me know what you think would be the best route.
Charlie McCartney
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

If it were me and I have what you have I would go cheap and get three circles cut out of 304 stainless sheet metal between 1/16 and 1/8 inch thick and TIG welded to all those large ports as permanent blank offs.

Before actually welding them on,. I would.....

1. Weld on a stub 2.75 conflat or a KF stub fitting on the bottom circle for the vacuum exhaust port and a 1/8 NPT female nipple for a TC vacuum gauge.

2. Weld a 2.75 or larger stub Conflat fitting for a viewing window and a fitting for the deuterium gas inlet port on another circle for one of the arms.

3. Weld a fitting or flange for my high voltage insulator onto the last circle to be placed on the other arm. Make sure this fitting is large enough so that your grid will fit through so that it can be changed or repalced attached to the HV insulator, of course.

Now you can weld the circles on permanently and start fusing assuming you have all the other stuff ready. I would not buy or weld on a single large flange adapter. Just use flat plates TIG welded over the Tee's flanges. Cheap and should work great if your welds are good.

Richard Hull
Mike Veldman

Post by Mike Veldman »

Richard pretty well duplicated what I told you to do when I gave you the chamber.

mike
I tried to contain myself, but I escaped.
charlie_mccartney

Sorry about that Mike, I completely forgot, my bad. Thank you again for everything.
Charlie McCartney

Return to “Images du Jour”