Archived - Plasma in Thailand~

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Jack Puntawong

Archived - Plasma in Thailand~

Post by Jack Puntawong »

First of all, I would like to acknowlege William Brinsmead who is both a great friend and a great mentor. He really helped me out with sorting out parts (which are especially hard to find in this part of the world) and providing long distance support. Also, I would like to thanks my high school for the donation of $700 and my parents for supporting me in this crazy project.

I wish to join the plasma club and have provided the following image as evidences. My full name is "Kunakorn Puntawong" and if possible, I also would like "William Brinsmead" to be acknowledged as my mentor. ( He's also a mentor for Tyler Wilson). I'm not sure but I think that this is Thailand first fusor ?

Here's also the link to the fusor construction: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7919

best,

Jack Puntawong
Last edited by Jack Puntawong on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Willis

Re: Plasma in Thailand~

Post by Carl Willis »

Excellent effort, Jack.

Thanks for sharing the valuable details about who helped you and what kind of budget you're working with. Your equipment is first-rate and it shouldn't be hard to take this to the "neutron club".

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Jack,
Your perseverance says a great deal about your potential for the neutron club and further achievements. Many think they can get race their way to a fusor, but you have done it the right way, step by step making the most of learning along the way. I wish you the best of luck as you go for fusion, and please continue to share news of your progress.
Jim K
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Jack

most excellent,well done to you, your family, and your mentor.
I note that the pressure is pretty high at this time in your plasma. Things will improve to allow higher volts.
As for the equipment, first class, good scrounging and I know you have had to pay real money.

As a small note next time you post pictures make sure the whole front panel of instruments are on display so we can determine what settings you have. In this case the range the vacuum gauge was set to.

but Jack

Wahoo, many hand claps
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Guys,

Thank you for all your comments and support so far. I apologize for posting anything stupid and unnecessary :P.

Carl, I'll be sure to join the neutron club very soon. Jim, thank you so much for the support and I'll continue to share my progress. John, I'll be sure to do that next time! The hand was so trembled with excitement from first light that I forgot to take the whole front panel! However, I have one question. I havn't tried out my diffusion pump yet but I have placed in the correct oil and the heater&fan are working. I have reached the pressure of between 15 micron to 50 micron during the time of the operation. Is this pressure sufficient for the diffusion pump to be turn on without the oil (DC704) burning ? Also, the system is leaking at about 0.2 per second. Is this considered a significant leak ?

Thanks!!!!

Jack Puntawong
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Jack,

I will add your name to the Plasma Club.

A very good job there and very well documented with images and data. Take some time to study the plasma at various vacuum pressure levels and observe all effects of varying voltage and current. This is what the demo fusor is all about. A few weeks of constant operation and visual study in a demo fusor while varying all the values will serve as a much needed spring board to ultimate understanding of real fusor operation.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Thank you Richard for all the FAQs and comment you have provided. Your FAQs is , literally, the most useful tool I have when I was a newbie ( I think I still am).Thank you very much for adding me to the plasma club but, is it possible to change the name list to " Kunakorn (Jack) Puntawong". Kunakorn is my official first name but "Jack" makes things easier. Thanks again for everything you have done for me and this community and sorry for the inconvenient misunderstanding.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Jack
sorry in the delay in replying
As to your question on the backing pressure to run your diffusion pump.
Most high vacuum pumps stall in the 10 to the minus 1 torr /millibar range.
so as a guide I would not switch the diff pump heater on until 2 x ten to the minus 1
millibar or 1x ten to the minus 1 torr or better vacuum. I can see that your are doing better than that from your vacuum gauge so you will be alright.
After starting your diffusion pump wait for half an hour for the heater to come up to temperature and go around all joints with a little liquid alcohol, a leak will cause a big swing on the pressure gauge.

keep up the good work

Return to “Images du Jour”