Techniques for Nuclear and Particle Physics Experiments

A place to keep track of reference material - any particularly useful books, articles, etc. should be listed here.
plasmann

Techniques for Nuclear and Particle Physics Experiments

Post by plasmann »

I just picked up this text the other day "Techniques for Nuclear and Particle Physics Experiments", A How-to Approach, and am very happy with the purchase. You need this book if you are trying to figure out how to set up radiation dection equipment, or what to buy. It was written by William R. Leo and published by Springer-Verlag. It's the second edition, the first was in 1987 and the second revised edition in 1994.
This book has pretty much answered all my questions about radiation detection and measurement. It has many tables, graphs and diagrams with useful information like scintillation materials and there output frequencies, cross-sections, compositions, output characteristics. PMT's, ionization counters, solid state detectors, NIM's, CAMAC, how to setup and use all these devices. Radiation safety, production, interaction, data handling and interpretation. What is, how it works, and how to use all type of NIM modules and circuits, and how to put them all together to measure whatever you want.
Anyway, this is the first post 1960 era book I've bought, and I'm definetly glad I did! I feel it's well worth the $45 I paid for it.

Mike Amann
Richard Hester

Re: Techniques for Nuclear and Particle Physics Experiments

Post by Richard Hester »

I just picked up a copy of this book using Bookfinder.com, and it is definitely a good hands-on text for dosimetry and instrumentation. This text and a copy of Knoll would be all one would need to get started.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Just got my copy. Pretty damned nice. Expensive as hell for a paper back, but the value is, nonetheless, there.

I was stunned that a modern text is so instantly usable, comprehensible and applies the "hands-on imperative". Two thumbs up for Bill Leo and a big thanks to Mike Amann for the tip. This books and refs forum is working out good!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
hellblazer

Post by hellblazer »

I just got a used copy of Knoll's book (unfortunately, 1979 edition) and I'm amazed! Most excellent book. Based on what I read in this forum I ordered Leo's book. I have to agree that is one expensive paperback.

Many thanks to the forum for the great tips. It really helps out a lot.
ChrisSmolinski

Post by ChrisSmolinski »

Hal Hildebrand wrote:
> I just got a used copy of Knoll's book (unfortunately, 1979 edition) and I'm amazed!

I just picked up a 1979 edition of Knoll as well, as it was half the price of the 89 edition, and considerably less than the following (99?) edition. Am I missing anything terribly useful in a more recent edition? I could see the semicondictor detector chapters changing, but I would think the basics would remain the same?
hellblazer

Post by hellblazer »

Impossible for me to tell. But I'm sure learning a heck of a lot from it.

Return to “Books & References”