Archived - HEAS 2009

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Archived - HEAS 2009

Post by Frank Sanns »

First light at 2009 HEAS.

Frank Sanns

P.S. Richard Hull on left and Carl Willis on right discuss some erudite point during operation.

R.H.
Attachments
IMG00004-20091002-2017.jpg
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Re: HEAS 2009

Post by Tyler Christensen »

Just got to the hotel, see you guys tomorrow!
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Realtime photo of presentations.

Frank Sanns

P.S. Doug Coulter speaking during his early evening presentation.

RH
Attachments
IMG00006-20091003-1617.jpg
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Why not come live on skype or youtube? - I would even miss a few hours sleep for that
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Biggest fusor group yet.

Sorry, no Skype on my Blackberry and Richard does not have internet here. Guess you will have to come next year or host one in England. You never know who might show up!

Frank Sanns

P.S. The evening meal, filling the local steakhouse to capacity with hungry fusioneers. We did give them a heads-up on this, of course.

RH
Attachments
IMG00008-20091003-1809.jpg
Scott Fusare

Post by Scott Fusare »

The HEAS event must be to Anthony and George's what Valentines day is to the florists.

Sorry I missed it this year. Greetings to all and thanks for the pictures Frank!

Scott
Doug Coulter

Post by Doug Coulter »

Thanks Frank,
Didja have to take such a clear picture of that scrawny scrofulous dude (me? ;~).

I had a ball there, meeting new people and swapping some cool toys. That was some turnout this time, lots of really-really good people.

Richard's run was especially impressive. (I got a snatch of a movie showing it, but it's a little large to upload here) I suppose he'll chime in here when he winds down a little, putting all that on couldn't have been a minimal effort -- I know I'm bushed, and all I did was show up.

Thanks Richard!

Doug and Bill
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
Mike Beauford

Post by Mike Beauford »

Hi Richard,

Thanks for having me out there. I enjoyed immensely the talk and the front row seat for the fusor runs. Between you and Carl, I learned enough I believe to complete my fusor. Once again, thanks!

Mike
Mike Beauford
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

Nice report, Frank.

This was certainly a good year for HEAS, with turnout almost a record high and beautiful weather. It was nice to put faces with names!

The swapping and sales were also fun. I picked up a Snoopy neutron detector from Eric Stroud that I will check out for operation back in Albuquerque, as well as a variety of radioactive items from Richard, a piece of vanadium metal, two pounds of mercury, a nice 5-watt step attenuator set, a lab jack, an quartz-mercury UV lamp, and assorted odds and ends.

Oddest moment: An English teacher from the Virginia Governors' School, and one of Richard's neighbors, stopped by thinking this was just a regular yard sale. A quick look through the place quickly disabused her of that idea! I think she may have been creeped out by the profusion of radioactive stuff and rad detection gear, but she did have the temerity to stay in Richard's lab during a record neutron-producing fusor run.

This was the 20th year of Richard's HEAS meeting. Some people (I think Ed Wingate was instrumental) presented him with a beautiful plaque recognizing his organizing efforts. Thanks Richard (and Kit) for your hospitality, and I look forward to coming back many more times!

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Well, The 20th year of holding these gatherings has past. The trash is dumped, (6 big yard bags of soda cans, munchie bags, boxes, etc. Thanks to all who attended and the many kudos to me at the event and afterward in the comments above. I look forward to future events and to seeing each of you in future and maybe some new attendees. We live and learn through interaction and the sharing of both knowledge and much needed goodies to make amateur science continue to generate a fresh cadre of new, young and inquistive minds.

This was the second largest attendance at 54 people! (Highest was 57 way back in 1996) This record was due solely to the Fusor folks who attended. It was also a record here for fusioneers. 15 active fusor list people showed up. (Image attached). We also had two folks there commit to scrounging and making a fusor. (not in image)

The fusor was started and ran on 5 separate occasions! The final run occured late Saturday afternoon and broke all of my records. 40,108 counts per minute on my He3 counter indicated 802,160 neutrons per second emitted isotropically! That translates to roughly 1,600,000 fusions per second!

Data: 44.2kv @ 10.2ma (variable), pressure 12.3 microns. (5 minute timed run recorded 200,540 counts). Carl determined that I did not have a bad pot in my supply but apparently a poor connection at my SCA amp. Once that connection was cleaned by multiple removals and replugs of a single BNC plug, the counter never stopped again. Carl also reset the base detection level. As an added cross test, Eric Stroud had his nearly matching He3 system there and put it on my bench at about 6 times the range of my detector and it counted wildly as well, but proportionally less due to distance factor.

We activated both Silver and Indium foils. The best silver activation was about 4 times lab background and at its best indicated 478 CPM on my NIM based GM counter.

Fusor IV has been pushed to it absolute limit, I feel and Fusor V will be forth coming.

The huge flea market was amazing and much needed money and items flowed between attendees. Often, a person who sold a lot also bought a lot and left with little or no net monetary gain or loss. In effect, this was a pure swap meet for many with money acting as a greasy intermediary. Still, I am unaware of any direct swaps being made.

The evening talks were all superb! All involved a power point or video visual presentation of images using my video projector onto my "white board"

Doug Coulter gave a report and finding of he and Bill Fain's efforts with their fusor.

Bill Kolb gave a plus ultra presentation of Ralph Pray's historic removal of about a ton and half of Trinitite from the trinity site back in the late 40's and its tortured journey through the hand of several people and dealers.

Carl Willis had three mini-presentations rolled into one and talked about ultra high energy gamma ray experiments that the amateur can do, gave us a tour of a water boiler nuclear facility and discuss the purex process for Uranium reduction.

Richard Hull gave a power point slide presentation of the 2009 Utah U mineral hunt involving Richard, Bill Kolb, Paul Carlock and Carl Willis.

The talks were over by 9PM and folks stayed, milled around and talked "shop" about topics ranging from high voltage, impulse quarter shrinking to fusors for the remainder of the evening with a few filtering out until the last 5 people departed about 1:30 AM Sunday.

Picture data.... NEED HELP WITH NAMES PLEASE Will the question marks get in touch with me so I can give them credit. And... Yes, I am embarrassed

Front row left to right...... Mr. X ?, Chad Ramey, Matthew Honickman, Richard Hull, Frank Sanns, Mike Beauford, Dave Rosignoli

Back row left to right........ Carl Willis, Tyler Christensen, Doug Coulter, ?, Bill Fain, Eric Stroud, Charlie Melvin, Jon Rosenstiel

Q is missing from the image, but was attending. Apparently he did not hear about the photo gathering. So, he makes 16 fusion list folks. He is in most all of the old HEAS archived years photos.

Fun seems to have been had by all.

Richard Hull

P.S PLEASE!!! Someone with images of the fusor and actual runs and especially of the crowds and mostly the flea market area, please post them!!!
Attachments
DSC00004.JPG
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
David Rosignoli

Post by David Rosignoli »

I agree with Carl and the others. This was a great event. It was good to put names to faces. Well done demos and cool equipment/chemicals for sale. Interesting conversations into the early morning hours. And, of course, entertaining presentations. Great fun.
I certainly hope you have many more HEAS events to come. And congratulations on the plaque.

Thanks Richard/Kit (behind the scenes...).
Dave
RobertTubbs

Post by RobertTubbs »

Very cool Richard,

I aim to attend HEAS 2010. Was hoping to come this year but low and behold fall quarter. The legendary swap meet is always a day away. Maybe those who attend the next HEAS will get the chance to see Fusor-V in the making?

Tyler! I expect you to spill the beans and tell me all the details when you get back!

RT
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

Hi Richard,

Nice photo.

Front row is as follows, left to right:

Mr. Ramey, Chad Ramey, Matthew Honickman, Richard Hull, Frank Sanns, Mike Beauford, Dave Rosignoli. Back row, I'm not sure I remember names correctly so I will defer to someone else who's good with names.

It's also worth noting the distances traveled by some of the visitors. Jon comes from southern California, Tyler from Washington State, Matthew Honickman and Ed Wingate from upstate New York, I come from New Mexico...I'm sure I'm missing some significant other trips as well. But the entire US is represented at these things. Kudos to the parents of our younger members for their efforts and their patience in bringing those guys to HEAS; everyone is enriched by their presence. I think this was THE record in terms of fusor attendance, even though fell short by a few from the '96 total attendance figure.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Yes, I totally agree with what the others have said, HEAS 2009 was a super event.

Thank you Richard and Kit.

Jon R
Mike Beauford

Post by Mike Beauford »

Hi Richard,

LOL - I'm in-between Frank Sanns and Dave Rosignoli.

Mike Beauford
Mike Beauford
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks Carl for the name updates. I have modified my post accordingly. Can anyone help with the rest of the question marks (backrow). In 96 these were Teslathons. 100% were Tesla coilers. Now it is a total mix. The fusor people comprised the largest fraction of attendees this year.

As I lost a lot of angry and disillusioned tesla coilers in the late 90's as the HEAS was formed to encompass all amateur science people, our attendance hit an all time low of 29 in 2001. I think the fusor people have bumped this number back up consistently and regularly since 2002. So, this year is a record attendance under the HEAS banner and in terms of fusioneers as well.

Also Kudos to Carl for noting the amazing distances traveled by all who attended. I have never discounted this extreme sacrifice in money and time by others. I often mention it in past posts, but just forgot this time. This is a testament to the hunger of those seeking first hand guidance and need for communing with like minds.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I've already updated the original posting with image, Mike. Sorry.

Everyone.......................

PICTURES! Where are they? I saw hundreds of flashes go off! I probably got more radiation on my back while working the fusor from UV flashes than from the fusor facing me.

Ricahrd Hull
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Thanks for the awesome event, it was a great day. I didn't have a camera for any pictures, but I'm hoping others will post what they have despite the current lack of pictures.

Off to fire up my fusor on a new power 3-stage CW supply I just finished building, I'll post results soon if it works!
Doug Coulter

Re: Archived - HEAS 2009

Post by Doug Coulter »

Tried to upload a video of Richards run, compressed to 1.8mb, but the forum won't let me, says it's too big even compressed down that small (original was 28 mb). I tried!
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
chad ramey

Post by chad ramey »

Richard,

The group picture has been labeled incorrectly, the guy beside me is not my father. My dad was helping take the pictures and was not in the photo. As for the name of the person, I am at loss .
Concerning pictures and videos from your test run on saturday, I'm going to try to start uploading tomorrow.

Thanks again for hosting such an awesome event!
Chad
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

I would suggest uploading the original 28MB file to youtube then posting the link to it.
ericstroud

Post by ericstroud »

Thank you again Rich for a great time at the 20th anniversary of HEAS. Here a a few photos:

1. Rich at the helm during a record run.

2. My UHMW-moderated neutron counter and scalar at center

3. The readouts from three different neutron counters during the run: Rich's, mine, and a Snoopy.

4. A Stirling Cryocooler demonstration

5. Homemade neutron bubble dosimeters w superheated gas - One of these actually showed some tiny bubbles during the run. Hopefully will be perfected for the next HEAS!

6. A gigantic bismuth crystal, home-grown by TR. The picture doesn't do the coloration justice.

Great to see all the fusioneers again. Kind regards, Eric
Attachments
RICH1.jpg
BENCH1.jpg
3METERS.jpg
CRYO1.jpg
BUBBLE1.jpg
BISMUTH1.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Chad, I have corrected the error and added a question mark. I forgot your dad was doing all the photography with 10 different people's cameras.

Eric, I can't thank you enough for the fine images.

Richard Hull
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

To Richard and all at the HEAS 2009 -

Thanks for hosting and sharing with those of us who could not attend. It looked like a great and stimulating weekend.

The Bismuth crystal is particularly impressive. Quite an accomplishment!

Dave Cooper
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Some people photos.

#1 Carl Willis. Nice contrast with the blue and yellow but I can't read the label on the bottle.

#2 Bill Kolb. Signing autographs?

#3 Jon Rosenstiel (right) and a freind of his. Conspiring like in the younger days.

#4 Bill Fain, Eric Stroud, TR. Is that somebody from the government in the background???

Frank Sanns
Attachments
HEAS209 012S.jpg
HEAS209 001s.jpg
HEAS209 004s.jpg
HEAS209 003s.jpg

Return to “Images du Jour”