Why are kids in Federal Way playing with a nuclear reactor

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
KJNW

Why are kids in Federal Way playing with a nuclear reactor

Post by KJNW »

OK, so this is probably geting a bit old for some of you, but if you are also interested in the ground breaking work we are doing in the area of community good will, and the impact we can have on the interpretation of State Regulations regarding fusors, then this will interest you. It also helps a great deal to see it on NPR (National Public Radio)
(The audio track is worth the price of admission.)

http://www.kplu.org/post/why-are-kids-f ... ar-reactor

I have also attached a picture of the latest stage of our evolution as this thing is always in a state of change. One thing that wasn't covered in this article (and they were told!) is the incredible dedication of people like David Housley, Jim Lynch, Jerry Glasser, Robert Tubbs, Scott Bergquist and the community of FUSOR.NET without which none of this would have been possible.

Carl G
Attachments
WP_20130128_004.jpg
Carl Greninger
North West Nuclear Consortium
http://www.NWNC.us.com
cgren@microsoft.com
Richard Hull

Re: Why are kids in Federal Way playing with a nuclear reactor

Post by Richard Hull »

Wow! Nice pix and hollywood sci-fi lighting effect. This has got to draw young folks in.
Great radio piece as well. Don't worry about the loss of the accolade to fusor.net. They focused on you guys and any deflection from your fine effort would have been counterproductive to their piece. We who have been praised in the news understand how they work, pretty much.

Superb effort on all fronts, Carl. You are to be commended at the highest level. You are saving many kids from the boredom of learning science using strings, paper cups and baking soda. The girl who was not doing well in 7th grade and is now a 4.0 student is certainly a jewel in your crown.

Too bad many educators as well as students are held back needlessly via a lack of active engagement with real tools of the sciences being taught.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

Carl,

I'll just add my kudos for another example of successful public outreach.

As I have said many times, education is one of the truly meaningful contributions that this hobby and community brings to the big world of fusion research. It's far more likely that the big answers in this field will come from people who worked on a basement fusion reactor in their formative years and took those skills and insights to the big leagues, than from the stereotypical "lone genius" who lives to spite the establishment.

Keep up the good work!

-Carl W.
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
RobertTubbs

Post by RobertTubbs »

Carl,

Allow me to offer my unjaded praise for what you're doing for these kids, aswell as those of us who contribute. You do as much for us as you do the kids. I'm lucky to have been and continue to be a part of this. I do hope this continues to grow.

Very much obliged,
Robert Tubbs

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”