Taylor Wilson and Fusion on CBS Sunday Morning?

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Taylor Wilson and Fusion on CBS Sunday Morning?

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

I'm not sure what I just saw... was watching the previews of today's episode of CBS Sunday Morning out of one eye and heard Charles Osgood say something about "... nuclear fusion..." and when I looked up I saw a photo of Taylor Wilson on the screen.

I gather there will be a short piece in today's show about Taylor and fusion.

I just searched the CBS.com website and found a couple of items:

http://www.cbsnews.com/1770-5_162-0.htm ... =cbsSearch

If something different comes up in the show I'll post it later today.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

TWO Fusion Related Stories on CBS Sunday Morning

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Yes, there were actually TWO fusion-related stories on CBS Sunday Morning yesterday.

The first was a fairly serious report by David Pogue on the National Ignition Facility which managed to take a somewhat balanced take on the whole multi-billion-dollar boondoggle.

The second was a fluff piece about Taylor Wilson, boy physicist. I wasn't sure what to make of that one. I couldn't tell who was more impressed with Taylor - Steve Hartman, the Charles Kurrault wannabe reporter.... or Tyler himself. I was sorta surprised at the way he came off.

No mention of fusor.net or the origins of Taylor's fusion work... it made it sound like he'd come up with it entirely himself. It did say he was the youngest person on earth to create fusion, but didn't say anything about who else might have done so.

I have embedded both segments in a blog post on the front page of fusor.net.

--PS
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Richard Hull

Re: Taylor Wilson and Fusion on CBS Sunday Morning?

Post by Richard Hull »

The story and video was cool. I went to the comments and about 75% had various wrong ideas about fusion that ran the normal gamut of mis-information and fear.

I did post a comment to set things straight a bit. I am sure no one will check back to see the following comments. It is all sort of hanging out there in cyber-space.

I also put the record straight about how many others there are out there doing fusion.

You could tell Taylor was pumped. He has had a lot of attention focused on him lately.

Oh well..........

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Edward Miller

Re: TWO Fusion Related Stories on CBS Sunday Morning

Post by Edward Miller »

Nice post. I think the video links are broken, if I look at the main page I get different videos.

The Taylor video was pretty cool. The media just wants to sensationalize everything, they don't have a real perspective on anything.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

So Much for Emeddding the Video

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

CBS posts embed codes for the videos on their website, CBS.com

You can't even GET to the embed codes until you have watched a 30 second commercial, in my case I have now seen two different commercials for Goldman Sachs about 5 times each.

But the video underlying the embed code CHANGES at the whim and will of CBS.

So I have had to remove the embedded video of the segment about Taylor, and will probably have to remove the other segment when that one changes, too.

CBS.com is run by CNET, who, you would think would be slightly less clueless about how the Internet works. But noo....

That is all.

--PS
David Housley

Post by David Housley »

All I can say, is that real science has a way of humbling those who truly pursue it. Hubris leads to the support structure that gave you height collapsing under you. I personally have learned so much from these forums, and the great minds willing to share their experiences. I have much to learn still, so until I personally have more real science to contribute, based on valid research and experiments, my posts will be more, hopefully, well thought out questions and clarifications. Those who forget the hands that pulled them up, will ultimately find themselves alone. May we all remember those who went before us and gave us the boost we needed to acheive what we have.
As Isaac Newton said in his letter to Robert Hooke's "If I have seen further is is by standing on shoulders of ye giants". Thank you, to the giants who reside here, and allow us to stand on their shoulders.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I see Taylor made it via osmosis over to the "Huff Teen" URL. (huffington post)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/0 ... d%3D149355

Again, the comments range from ignorant to sad to laughable.... About what one would expect from the general public.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”