Taylor Wilson in the news again

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Richard Hull

Taylor Wilson in the news again

Post by Richard Hull »

Check out

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/meet-th ... n-reactor/

It's about Taylor Wilson. Interesting piece. Will it drag in more noobs?

In the written part they talk of "deadly radium" in vials. lotsa' th' usual hype and fear thrown in while praising Taylor's efforts. Fear of all things nuclear is going visceral and will soon rival or replace the in-born fear of the dark!

Sorry if this was already seen or posted.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
David Geer

Re: Taylor Wilson in the news again

Post by David Geer »

The commentary for this article is almost appalling at how dominant the unfounded fears are in this country, along with all the paranoia/conspiracy theory nuts ridiculing him and his work.

He'll go far for how young he is and I personally wish him all the luck and good fortune he can get.
- David Geer
bthoma

Post by bthoma »

I agree with David. There are many people who go through life without using anything more than just the brain stem. My experience is that when on the topic of nuclear physics/theory I see that deer in the headlights look. The sad part is I see it all the time from college graduates. There are legions of misinformed and misled individuals. I think ego has much to do with that.

Taylor-keep moving forward, you have a brilliant future ahead if you so choose. Stick to facts and truth. Safeguard against high-mindedness and stay humble. To quote Einstein: "Most say it is intellect that makes a great scientist. They are wrong. It is character." Information is not knowledge. Knowledge comes from experience. One of the things my experience has taught me is just don't quit.

You have peers in this forum that have like goals and asperations. My thought is, for the science, is that you all get together and consolodate efforts. This forum is a good start. I can tell you that the path direction will be different in hindsight, and probably exceed expectations. Just a thought.
"Design simplicity solves engineered complexity"
scinut

Post by scinut »

Richard,
When you say "drag in more noobs", do you mean that to be a positive result? The term 'drag' throws me. Inspire?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

"Drag" includes all from the truly inspired to the poor slobs looking to make a fusion powered hot rod. This news hype is like some sort of non-separatory vortex funnel, dropping all manner of stuff at the doorstep. We have had them all show up here. The truly inspired who pack th' gear, stick, for the most part. The drifting deadwood find out it requires skill sets, some money, that there is no fusor kit, and that it can't be done in a weekend living on Pizza and beer, then they move on.

Each wave in the media washes all manner of stuff up on the shore. Some washes back out to sea.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”