21st Century Shelter

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
3l

21st Century Shelter

Post by 3l »

Hi Folks:

What am I doing in 06?.
well here's my do list.
Complete my 90% self sufficiant house.
Oh yeah a house that provides all its own heat, electricity,a/c,
in all seasons without outside assist.
Build a 10 hp fusor rig using our sun as my fusion reactor.
Rebuild my research lab
All under 20 grand!
Crazy you say not so!
The house will be built around the needed collectors not the collectors around the house. Many thousands saved that way.
A minimum number of pv panels.
The bulk will be cheap do it yourself tin roofing painted black with pvc covers. All actve with water pipes doing the collection.
Heat storage will be a 200 gallon fiberglass septic tank under the collector.
The house has a design lifetime of over 40 years...longer than this old timer will live. The only cost will be the upfront cost and nothing after that investment.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
3l

Re: 21st Century Shelter part 2

Post by 3l »

Hi Folks:

The core of my self sufficient will be a Menanite built wood frame metal building. Total cost? 6500 dollars for a 14x20 Metal shed set up ready to go. It is insulated with a spray on urathane insulation two 2 3 ft metal doors with two 2x3 windows on each end. Is this it? No silly! It is only the core of my superinsulated design house. The metal building will contain a 4' hall and two bedrooms. On top of the insulation coating will go a bat of R33
glass wool insulation for an R of around 43. The rest of the building will hold all wet areas outside the insulated core. The building is 7 feet tall with a finished corregated siding for shiething. A 2x 6 Header board at roof level on the metal shed will be the connection between the wet areas and the bedrooms.
I envision a pyramidal type structure with the collectors on the slant roof connected to a four foot tall end cap. The exterior building will be 20 wide by 28 long 7 feet tall descending to 4 feet.
the collectors are 20 x 20 feet in dimensions.

How did I get that figure?

Well a fellow I interviewed in NM had a house that had a solar flat panel with 1500 mason jars as storage. He claimed it provided 92% of all his needs for heating and would work any where in the country. At DOE claims of energy invention in the 70's were a dime a dozen.
After a trial run with instruments ,I 'll be darned but the old cogger was right!
He ran it on a 18x 20 flat plate collector.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
ebeuerle

Re: 21st Century Shelter part 2

Post by ebeuerle »

Larry,
What do you mean by 1500 mason jars for storage??
-Eddie B.
AnGuy

Re: 21st Century Shelter

Post by AnGuy »

>Oh yeah a house that provides all its own heat, electricity,a/c,

How are you doing the cooling? Using a Gas absorpion chiller or just a ground heat sink?

One of the things I been looking for a low power heat exchanger for central air cooling. All of the commerial units use 220v 2-3HP AC motors. I am wondering if you have a solution for this. Perhaps instead of using just one large central heat exchanger, multiple units could be used. that would draw less power to move air through and it wouldn't have to pushed as far with a centralized system. This of course would mean lots and lots of extra chiller piping.

My concern is that once the energy crisis is in full swing the nation will be put on a permenent rolling blackout as consumers overtax the power grid (trying to use electricity for heating, hot water, cooking, and everything else). You can't run a heavy duty blower motor on PV, wind, or battery power. I would like to set it up with 24 or 48v DC power.

For heating I've been thinking about using coal at least for backup when there isn't enough sun to do the job. You can buy commerical coal/wood pellet furnances. The advantage is that you can have heat and hot water anytime. A ten to twenty ton supply of coal would probably last more than a decade in a well insulated, energy efficient home.

Also heres an interesting Idea that uses soap bubble to control the amount of heat inside of a building. Its primary used for greenhouses as a simple way to insulate the windows during the nights, or to prevent over heating on a very sunny day.

http://solaroof.org/wiki/SolaRoof/SolaRoofTech
or
http://www.solarbubblebuild.com/build_images13.php

Please share any links about home contruction ideas and solutions for the 21st Century dwelling.

Thanks
3l

Re: 21st Century Shelter

Post by 3l »

Hi Guys:

To Eddie:

Just what I said as unbelievable as it is. 1500 water filled mason jars with the lids screwed on. See by putting the water in glass jars you can circulate hot air on all sides to prevent the coring effect that you would get in 55 gallon drums.

To AG:
I use amonium nitrate in water to cool with.
Ammonium nitrate has a negative solvation temperature coefficent.
In plain english the Ammonium nitrate gets cold when you dissolve it in water.
When the solution is saturated , hot air from the collector
is blown on the top of the chiller water evaporating out water to
allow the cooling water to "regenerate". The wet air goes to a solar fanned condensor to collect the process water.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech >>>>>Sanity checked for your protection on 02/09/06<<<<<<

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”