cold fusion ractor

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
stoffe

cold fusion ractor

Post by stoffe »

hello everyone!

my name is stephan höglund and i live in sweden!
i stumbeled over cold fusion and fusion via youtube, my main interests are gas turbine engines and mainly the turbojet engine,YES i am actually building one such out of a truck turbocharger!
then while looking for such on youtube i found something about fusion and i thought how cool and relative easy? to build and then i saw these cold fusion reactors or experiments in glass jars etc and got interested to build such to learn more about this!
BUT my thought were to build a reactor out of stainless 316L acid proof instead of glass jars
i have a couple of questions though, at what voltage should i feed it?, what water mix would be best?, in the experiments i saw salt water was used, i saw water in glasses with lithium batteries being submerged to get out oxide from the batteries, sounds a bit dangerous though since lithium and water combination dont mix freely
any recommendations,tips,help greatly appreciated to a newcommer in this hobby!
best regards/stephan höglund
Andrew Haynes

Re: cold fusion ractor

Post by Andrew Haynes »

Andrew Haynes
Jeroen Vriesman

Post by Jeroen Vriesman »

Andrew, watch out for antigravity waves!
Andrew Haynes

Post by Andrew Haynes »

Andrew Haynes
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

sorry guys!
could you slow down a bit and talk english so to speak, i am a new beginner with this i dont understand such laboratory language just plain simple english, remember guys im just an auto mechanic who neve seen a laboratory or a university teaching facility!
thanks guys,appreciate all the help here!
best regards/stephan
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

how can it become highly radioactive??, you just use water and you get out hydrogen from the water,right?, you put salt in water to get electrolysis right? ,you put electrodes in the water and apply electricity, practically you boild the water sort of right?, you get out hydrogen that i know but how can it become highly radioactive?
now i got curious here/best regards stephan
Jeroen Vriesman

Are you suggesting that this whole "cold fusion" stuff is just some electrolysis producing nothing but H2, O2 and some heat?

I'm shocked, are you trying to combine cold fusion with common sense? That would be a real breakthrough.
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

HEY!!
what is this?, i am a new commer here and when i come with a polite question then i get this answer instead, i simply asked, how can it become highly radiactive?
and what levels of radiactivity and what kind of radioactivity?
Jeroen Vriesman

Stephan,

there is no radiation, whatever small energy excess is claimed with "cold fusion" is probably something chemical or related to other physical energy storage forms (for one example see my reply to your introduction).

If there is no radiation and to transmutation to unstable isotpes, then nothing nuclear is going on.

So we're just joking about the "building a cold fusion reactor" questions.
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

hello again Jeroen!

have you seen this link before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htgV7fNO-2k

here they talk about nuclear reactions though!
best regards/stephan
Jeroen Vriesman

If there is alpha, beta, gamma radiation or neutrons, that would indicate a nuclear reaction.

And, if there is a nuclear reaction producing a few watts of energy, the level of radiation would be very high.
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

hello Jeroen!
thanks for your answer, i wonder though, this cold fusion reactor would such produce more radiation than the normal fusion reactor?
and why would it become a high radiation out of a tiny effect? as i belive that the cold fusion take compared to the normal fusion reactor?
i must apologise for my new beginner questions but i find it interesting to learn why and how and so forth!
best regards/stephan
Jeroen Vriesman

please understand, producing a few watts of fusion power would mean a lethal radiation dose.
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

would it be less radiation from a normal fusion reactor, i understand what you say but i dont understand why it becomes such high levels of radiation!
would it be safer to build a normal fusion reactor using vacuum pumps etc
the reason i got interested in the cold fusion thing was the fact that it seems so darn simple with just salted water and such and i believe much cheaper to build than the normal fusion reactor!
best regards/stephan
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

This thread is typical of how stuff gets propagated to death here.

Stephan, you are trying to compare cold fusion claimed in an electrolytic cell to the fusor in both output energy and radiation product. There is no comparison! Cold fusion has not officially been established, nor like real fusion, has it ever produced any excess energy that has ever been used to do anything, anywhere at anytime.

No amount of fete can make something work for the betterment of man that does not work economically, be it hot or cold fusion energy efforts.

It sounds like you are out to produce usable energy via fusion. You can't do that, of course, via any fusion method known to man via any amateur construct.

Regular, well understood physics of fusion is what the fusor that we work with produces. It produces the expected amount of radiation from its one ten billionth of one watt fusion output, (0.00000000001 watt) using the normal 500 watt input from a wall outlet. It is real fusion. It is worthless as an energy producing device.

Please consider moving to another site specifically dealing with amateur cold fusion work if you are going to really persue the cold fusion quest. No one here dabbles in it, regardless of what their personal take on it is, pro or con.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

really aggressive place this!
very sad i must say, this is my first contacts with this forum and it turn out like this?!
i didnt intend to take out energy from it, NO simply to experiment like you other guys do
BUT after this approach from you guys here i think i rather stick with homebuilt turbojet engines...at such forums everyone help eachother out and we sort help out a newcommer to understand such engines and components around them and we dont act like snobbery like it seems to be here!
i thought it was really interesting to learn more about both cold fusion and the usual fusion with vacuum pumps and stuff but ok, im happy i didnt ended up in any university
im not snobbish, thanks for this forums very nice approach!
i have to learn myself then
/stephan
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Stephan, sorry you got this impression. 'andrew haynes' is a new and inexperienced poster here and does not at all represent the majority. Jeroen seems to have, unfortunately, picked up the 'aftermath' of those first few posts. You should disregard andrew's posts as not being at all representative of this forum's community.

You've asked a question which is not altogether unexpected from a 'general public' perspective, given the hype and 'confusion marketing' of those who have sought to further 'cold fusion'.

The harsh reality is that, for all the conspiracy theories and other such incredible stories that wash around on cold fusion, there is scant evidence of any such 'low energy reactions'. No-one has reproducibly demonstrated any 'extra heat' from any identifiable, or known, 'cold' nuclear fusion processes.

This forum is focussed on addressing an amateur interest in experimental REAL fusion, generally by accelerating deuterium ions at each other with electric fields. This is a KNOWN aspect of science and the basic science is not in question. I'm confident you would have the skills to put together a vacuum system and high voltage power supply to achieve this result if you wanted to, and you would get help from the forum members here who have done likewise.

No-one in the world can help you with cold fusion, because it is a subject reminiscent of alchemy in the middle ages. It is, as far as sober rational study can determine, a fantasy. Although a 'fantasy' of today may be a reality of 'tomorrow', it is someone else's tomorrow, and someone else's forum!!

Hope that helps. Do look further at IEC electro-static based fusion. It's an interesting, and above all *real* science, accessible by amateur experimentation, and you'll get help here with it if you pursue it. If you are focussed only on cold fusion, you will get nothing useful here because no-one has any experience of it.
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

thank you Chris for your answer!
I would also be interested to build such vacuum chamber with pumps etc( i think i even wrote so in my introduction here)
how expensive is this stuff,is it difficult to find?, how did you build your vacuum chamber? or is it something that can be bought ready made?
best regards/stephan
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

So, the forum is very much an advocate for self-centred learning.

Each forum has FAQs (see top) which aim to cover the basic questions.

If you don't find an answer to your questions in the FAQs, then it's a time to raise new questions - but don't be disheartened if you are sent straight back to the FAQ's! This just means that you've probably missed the answer to your question that's already been posted. But sometimes you may have a question not asked before, in which people will answer and, perhaps, a new FAQ may come out of it.

The search feature is also at the top. Try it out, and get familiar with the content of the site. It's all there, and once you've got a feel for the layout, you'll probably spend most of your time reading, rather than thinking of the next question!!

In brief, 2nd hand gear is readily available from ebay and other internet sources. There is no doubt you can put a system together on very little money so long as you are prepared to wait for things to come up, and work around the limitations of what you buy. Some builds have even used a pressure cooker and a spark-plug, or a bottle cut open. Obviously, these are not ideal constructions!! But will give a 'demo' plasma. All constructions that can be imagined are probably possible. Your challenge is to find things that might work, and work with them until they do. Clearly, the more 'professional quality' and/or 'faster' you want your build to be, then the more expensive it will be.

Good luck!
Doug Coulter

Post by Doug Coulter »

Chris hammered this.

You can for example, buy the deluxe chamber I use right from Lesker for around $15,000 - or get "lucky" like my partner BillF and find one in a junkyard, with half the expensive required flanges (another few K$) for about $375. But that took a year to find - which is why I put luck in quotes, Bill really earned that find.

Ditto almost every other component. Some of them you might build on your own, some are probably not worth trying. Lots of people cobble together decent HV supplies for pennies on the dollar as well, but almost no one makes a vacuum pump.

My own combination of available money and patience meant we did get the cheap chamber, but bought a new turbo pump system and a mass spec for it, so we're probably at the high dollar end here. Most people skip the turbo in favor of a diff pump system, and skip the mass spec for example, and rather than go to say Spellman (highly recommended good stuff if you can afford it), make their own HV supply, and learn why the pro models cost what they cost - it's not a small trick to make one that will be reliable under a fusor load (arcs, etc).

You can indeed also buy ready made neutron sources - some of which absolutely kill a fusor re output, but since these were developed in the hopes of selling them to the infinitely-funded DHS, well, if you have to ask how much they cost, you can't afford one. I've seen them online from e9 to e11 neutrons/second, but no prices listed, which on the web tells you all you need to know - you can't afford it.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
stoffe

Post by stoffe »

hello!
no i could not afford to buy proffessional stuff, that wouldnt be my intention either, i am DIY orientated, i want to build it myself and to make it run, it will have to take the time it takes until finished!
best regards/stephan

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”