Nine Pin D cables

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
hjerald1

Nine Pin D cables

Post by hjerald1 »

I need a nine-pin D cable for a preamp. In talking to Don Orie, I am not alone in this need! How have folks on the forum solved this need?
Thanks,
Jerry
bk8509a

Re: Nine Pin D cables

Post by bk8509a »

Doug Coulter

Post by Doug Coulter »

Or any computer store -- I have far too many already, they are not rare if we're talking about the same thing. Or Marlin P Jones will sell connectors and cable, as will many others who charge more money.

http://www.mpja.com/

For example.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
tligon

Post by tligon »

If you mean 9-pin standard-density d-sub connectors in the DE shell size, welcome to my life.

As the others have said, these are the standard connector for RS-232 and RS-422 serial communications since the PC was introduced.

And dammit, they are DE-9 connectors, not DB-9 connectors. But some catalogs, including DigiKey, insist on using the DB shell size prefix, which actually refers to the DB-25.

Yeah, I know, too much information.

A computer serial cable will probably work electrically (if it has all nine lines run through it), but may not perform well. If you are putting signal thru the cable, it may need the signal-carrying leads to be twisted pair and/or shielded. Around here, I use mil-spec crimping tools to build cables, but most hobbyists can't afford the tools and use solder-cup connectors instead.

Mouser.com has Cinch 538-DEH-9P and 538-DEH-9S available. These are pin (male) and socket (female) connectors respectively.

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”