Bubble Dosimeter

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Eldarion

Bubble Dosimeter

Post by Eldarion »

Does anyone know a good place to get bubble dosimeters through? I need a cheap way of neutron detection and this seams to be the best answer.
Richard Hull

Re: Bubble Dosimeter

Post by Richard Hull »

To save money you would need to come in on a "mass buy" where one person offers to order 4 or more and this reduces the cost to a one off buy significantly. No matter, you are looking at about $150.00 minimum on a mass buy.

Such windows for mass buy offers open in this forum, occasionally.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
gary_f

Post by gary_f »

These are the terms I was given recently by Bubble Tech:

"In order to meet all Canadian Export requirements, I am required to sell to a company that has a Federal ID Tax Number. The current cost for a BD PND is $135 USD each with a minimum order of $300 USD plus S/H/I (~ $150 USD). I would require advance payment."

An attempt on this forum to get a bulk buy going back in September failed.
view.php?bn=fusor_trader&key=1221418751&pattern=bti (BROKEN LINK)

On a related note, an Eberline ASP-1 bowling ball recently sold on ebay for $1426, probably to one of our forum members tired of waiting for a Bubble Tech deal.
jlangridge

Post by jlangridge »

>On a related note, an Eberline ASP-1 bowling ball recently sold on ebay for $1426, probably to one of our forum members tired of waiting for a Bubble Tech deal.

I was in the middle of this bidding war but decided to stopped around $1426 since a new Ludlum He-3 goes for around $2751 shipped.

Time to revisit the bulk buy? As I recall it was about a year ago when the last one happened and they don't have a terribly long shelf life...

John..
Edward Miller

Post by Edward Miller »

I have a Tax ID and I'm willing to do a bulk buy. I've purchased 4 detectors from BTI before with no problem.

Let me know if there's enough interest and I'll place an order.
jlangridge

Post by jlangridge »

>I have a Tax ID and I'm willing to do a bulk buy. I've purchased 4 detectors from BTI before with no problem.

>Let me know if there's enough interest and I'll place an order.

If you are making a head count to see if there is enough interest, please put me down for one at this time. I may increase that to two later.

Thanks,

John Langridge
Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Edmo,

Thanks for the offer...

My two are getting old, so please put me down for two if you are ordering a fresh batch.
Shipping by USPS at my cost..

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Yes. Thanks for the offer to buy for us. Are you OK to ship to UK?

These look cheaper than some years ago. Either its the improving value of the USD, or maybe they are making larger quantities these days?

I would be interested in one, possibly two if you need to make the order up.

Before finalising, though, can I ask if anyone can tell me what the range of the temperature correction factor is on the BD100R in its 10-35C range? Does temperature make that much difference to the reading (and as an old RF hand, I would take +-3dB as accurate!!). if it is an adjustment of, say, x0.8 measured at 35 and x1.2 at 10 then it's hardly important, I think.

I don't actually see the benefit of buying the BD-PNR. Presumably it must have a pile of extra chemicals in it to compensate for temp that could lead to some degree of elevation in degradation rate. Personally, I'd prefer to KNOW that there is some temp-to-dose ratio rather than accepting the tolerances that must be built into the PNR device. Plus, BD100R is slightly less bulky.

The only reason to want a self-correcting device in the range 20-35C is that it is needed as a personal dosimeter that works between 'ambient' and body temp., i.e. for personal carrying, and most of the time 'ambient' in a UK garage is much less than 20C - so I'd still need to know a correction factor!!

Am I talking sense or nonsense?

Besides, I hear it is cheaper!

best regards,

Chris MB.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Temperature does make a significant difference! I tend to go for the BD100R as they give you a nice set of correction curves, and it certainly was cheaper.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Exactly my point! Better the devil that you have correction curves for.

So I'd be up for one BD100R, 33bub/mrem. I'll take two if they come in at under USD100 each.

best regards,

Chris MB.
Steven Sesselmann

For what it is worth, the last batch of detectors that Carl Willis arranged, were of the BDPND type, I have two of these, and they are still good (12 months old).

Pretty handy not having to look up a temperature compensation chart, but I an happy to go with either kind.

Steven
Attachments
BDPND.jpg
BDPND.jpg (20.35 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

But what happens when the temperature drifts below the 20C rating of the thing? I get the impression it is self correcting, but only in the 20-37C range?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I would never operate the device outside its limits. This assumes you want known and specified results. In the winter, in my mostly unheated lab, I usually preheat the device just before using it and put it in a wad of cotton in a small box and it holds true to the preheat temperature long enough to make a 10 minute timed fusion run.

Richard Hull
Steven Sesselmann

Chris,

In winter when the lab is cold, I carry the bubble detector in my pocket, until I am ready to use it.

In summer when it is hotter than 30˚ I sit with a cold drink and work on the theory

Steven
Andrew Seltzman

Post by Andrew Seltzman »

Put me down for one BT-PND (30bubble/mrem) dosimeter.

Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
billwcf

Post by billwcf »

Hi, Put me down for 1 BD-PND. I "smell" neutrons in 2009 -bill
jlangridge

Post by jlangridge »

I just wanted post on this thread to bring it back to the top and see if a group buy was going to happen based on the number that indicated an interest.

Thanks,

John Langridge
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

I'd still be up for one BD100R, 33bub/mrem, or two if they come in at under USD100 each, if UK shipping is OK for whoever is kind enough to commission the purchase.

best regards,

Chris MB.
Edward Miller

Post by Edward Miller »

I sent off an email to BubbleTech to get pricing on 7 x BT-PND and 1 x BD100R. If anyone else wants in let me know ASAP!

Here's the current order list:
Chris Bradley 1x BD100R, 33bub/mrem, (2x if under USD100 ea)
Andrew Seltzman 1x BT-PND (30bubble/mrem)
Bill Fain 1x BT-PND (30b/mrem)
John Langridge 1x (Please confirm BT-PND)
Steven Sesselmann 2x (Please confirm BT-PND)
Me 2x BT-PND

I'll post the reply once I get it. I'll need to collect payment via paypal before ordering. I can put it all on my card though. I will also need to be clear that I'm not responsible for any issues with the detectors, you will have to contact the company directly. (Of my last batch of 4, 1 broke within 6 months, I probably tightened it too much.)

Thanks.
jlangridge

Post by jlangridge »

Edmo:

Thank you so much for doing this!

Yes, 1 x BT-PND (30b/mR) would be great!

Thank you!

John Langridge
Edward Miller

Re: Bubble Dosimeter Bulk Order Update

Post by Edward Miller »

Hello All,

I heard back from Bubbletech.

The BD100R has been discontinued.

The quote for 8 detectors is....
8 x BD-PND @$135.00 = $1,080.00

Shipping/Handling/Insurance = $155

1235/8 = $155/each + shipping/insurance from me to you.
Edward Miller

Post by Edward Miller »

Last Call for Bubble Detectors!

Please send payment via PayPal to edwardmiller@gmail.com alternatively use paypal button on this site: http://neutronlabs.com

US Shipping via USPS flat rate for $5.00 (edit +$7 PayPal Fees)

International Shipping (and US via FedEx/UPS) please calculate the shipping cost with FedEx or UPS from San Jose CA 95112. Chris and Steven, please pay the detector cost and we can figure out the shipping separately.

1 Andrew Seltzman ($167:Paid)
2 Bill Fain ($328)
1 Chris Bradley ($162/UK:Paid)
1 John Langridge ($167:Paid)
2 Steven Sesselmann ($310:Paid+13+NSW)
1 Me

EDIT: EGADS!! PayPal has fees!! For Steven's 310 it was 12.39 in fees. So I'll have to add $7 for each detector....
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Edmo,

Our useless bumbling government has presided over a fall for the value of the GB pound from it being worth $2 to $1.30.

I've sent you an email about alternative payment to Paypal.

best regards,

Chris MB.
Edward Miller

Post by Edward Miller »

Hello All,

A quick update. There was some delay but these were most financial, getting money from PayPal into my bank and then fixing my account after it went all antifraud and froze after I tried to purchase these from Canada (it wasn't the item, it was the cost and international)

According to the tracking information provided by Bubbletech the bubble detectors should arrive tomorrow and I'll be sending them out to you all Saturday or Monday.

-Ed
jlangridge

Post by jlangridge »

Thanks for the update, Ed! This is definitely exciting news!

John..

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”