NIM crate voltage tolerances

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
UG!

NIM crate voltage tolerances

Post by UG! »

i have finaly aquired a propper NIM bin, compleat with runners that don't rattle, the corectly threaded holes to screw the nims in, the silly unobtainable puwer plugs and... a dead PSU.

after getting fed up with trying to repair the crumbling PSU, i have decided it would just be easyer to re-build all the electronics, but...

how precide do the voltages need to be? can i replace all the complicated transistorized regulation circuitry with LM317s and tweek them to the right voltage? should i be useing precision voltage referances and baseing everything on them? should i be trying to replacate something along the origanal lines with a heap of 2N3055s but with LM723s instead of transistorized drivers?

the only current above 2A is on the 6V line.

Thanks
Oliver
UG!

Re: NIM crate voltage tolerances

Post by UG! »

that doesn't help :( it took me 2 years to find a nim bin, i'm not waiting another 2 :(

but whatever i do will likely be better than the origanal design, i just wandered if there was any good reason why i couldn't just use modurn adjustable regulators, mabey with a 2N3055 for the heigher current lines like 6V. with propper decoupling crosstalk shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Oliver
:)
Wilfried Heil

Re: NIM crate voltage tolerances

Post by Wilfried Heil »

Oliver, I don't have a NIM setup here but I've used plenty of regulators. I see no reason why an LM317/LM337 shouldn't work. They have some temperature drift, so you should adjust the voltages after the PSU warms up. Make sure that the feedback resistor value is as recommended by the manufacturer. These regulators need to sink a minimum of current, otherwise they don't regulate and will make an excursion to the *maximal* voltage instead, with unexpected results! For the fixed voltages I would use the 78xx/79xx series, where these are available.

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”