BGO hv convert

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Tman

BGO hv convert

Post by Tman »

I have two of the same BGO detectors as in Carls "micro" BGO detector post. The supplied socket is in the -HV configuration, I know this must be pretty easy, but how can I convert the -HV over to +HV so I can power it with a normal power supply.
Carl mentioned earlier that he externally converted one of his over with a few capacitors and resistors.
I will be rewiring my other detector to 144M so it will work for survey meter use.

Thanks,

-Thiago
Tman

Re: BGO hv convert

Post by Tman »

Ya, I think I'll change the resistance down closer to 100M.

But does anyone know how to convert +hv to -hv?
My power supply has +hv and ground leeds, and my detector has -hv and ground leeds

-Thiago
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

Once you rearrange your dynode string and coupling cap the way they should be, the PMT will be ready to accomodate a +HV supply at the tube anode and a grounded photocathode, rather than a photocathode at -HV and an anode at ground. Check out the Burle web site for a huge application note on PMTs and how they are used.
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

Hi Thiago,

I got your email and do intend to answer it. Just haven't had a spare moment in the last couple days. The negative HV socket assembly that comes with the tubes contains just about everything except two caps and two resistors (if you want convert to run pulse-mode, positive HV). Sorry for being unresponsive. I will get a schemat for you if the other guys haven't already.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”