Ion Source With Einzel Lens

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
Harris Tidwell

Ion Source With Einzel Lens

Post by Harris Tidwell »

Ion sources have been the main goal of my fusor exploration, so I have spent most of my time working on creating different ions source and plan on testing their efficiency, beam density, life-time, ion current, and ,of course, effects on neutron production. I currently have two different types. The first are replicas of Seltzman anode layer sources(thanks to Andrew, helping me out alot) and the second, are some that I have designed. Neither have been tested, but it will be soon, as deuterium is being ordered this week. Below are pictures of the CADS for my sources and pictures of the partially assembled unit. Still under construction

Measurement that I plan on using=
Multi Array Faraday Cup, so I can get an idea of beam density.
Neutron Production
Steven Sesselmann

Re: Ion Source With Einzel Lens

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Harris,

Looks like neat work. Can you explain how it works, it's not quite clear to me which end the extractor is on, and how you intend to adjust the Einsel lens.

Did you see the simple ion source that John Hendron and I made a few years ago?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5013#p32321

This one doesn't have any extractor at all, it simply cracks the D molecules and allows the grid to do the extracting. The advantage of the Starfire ion source is that it floats below ground and the molecules are cracked at a negative bias.

For this to work, you have to float the filament heating transformer at negative potential.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Harris Tidwell

Post by Harris Tidwell »

The idea was an anode layer(the anode can be spotted out in the CADs). The anode would be held at 2kv/3mA and the anode on the Einzel lens would be on a different power supply allowing for easy manipulation of focal point.
Conrad Farnsworth

Post by Conrad Farnsworth »

Harris,

I had this idea a few months ago but never got the time to pursue it. I am VERY interested to see the results. Best luck in the test phases!

-Conrad
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Beautiful work! Keep us informed on the test results. I am glad this forum is advancing, even if by fits and starts.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I was wondering, is this an electron gun? If ion, how are you injecting the gas? I see no ports for that purpose.

I really like the over design and how you incorperated the Einzel lens.
Harris Tidwell

Post by Harris Tidwell »

Ion gun, On the flange there will be a VCO fitting that will be in the center then I will run a small piece of tubing from the flange to the center hole on the lower portion of the source.

I will get some flange pictures posted soon.

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”