Heavy Ion Gun

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
Codecat

Heavy Ion Gun

Post by Codecat »

Hi All

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about a heavy ion source? Say something to generate a heavy gas ions for acceleration, such as Argon, Xenon, Krypton or (horrors) Radon?

Thanks, and all the best of the season to everybody!

Joe H, KB0TXC
Q

Re: Heavy Ion Gun

Post by Q »

well, 'the bell jar' had some articles about using microwave oven magnetrons to produce plasmas with heavier gasses. perhaps that could be of use. (www.belljar.net)

i would think that an ion gun for heavier gasses would be essentially the same with different voltages used for ionization and accerleration.

what do you have in mind?

Q
Codecat

Post by Codecat »

Right now, I am working on my vacuum system, mostly. Eventually, I would like to construct a linear accelerator that accelerates heavy ions. Thanks for the belljar.net tip!

All the best and 73,

Joe
Q

Post by Q »

no problem. i also seem to remember a psudospark ion source article or two. and if memory serves me (but be warned, i have the memory of a lima bean) the scientific american's amareur scientist colum had some particle accelerator atricles. there is info on this in the "books" section. (one of these days i'm gonna actually get my own copy of the amateur scientist collection)

hope this helps...

Q
dsanco

Post by dsanco »

As heavy as these elements are, Nitrogen makes up aproximately 78% of the atmosphere. Easily obtainable, and when frozen or liquified takes remarkably small space for the vapor volume supplied. Now imagine running two oppositely charged streams of charged nitrogen into each other. Charged to 10kV relative between the streams, I suspect fusion energies to be present. Converting the nitrogen molecules into silicon, scandium, or zinc, which may then decompose into hydrogen or helium nuclei, and energy. Have I done it, no. It just seems that if the Fusor works, this based on similar principals may as well.

JoeHerdler wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about a heavy ion source? Say something to generate a heavy gas ions for acceleration, such as Argon, Xenon, Krypton or (horrors) Radon?
>
> Thanks, and all the best of the season to everybody!
>
> Joe H, KB0TXC
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Sorry, but that won't do it. This kind of fusion is hot fusion and the cross section for N-N not very inviting. 10KEV would be just heated ion collisions.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”