Need help to estimate the price of this x-ray source

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Jack Puntawong

Need help to estimate the price of this x-ray source

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Hey guys,

Recently, I have bought a hamamatsu photonics x-ray source machine for around $100. I was told that it was removed from a factory. I believe that it was used for x-ray non-destructive test. There are two parts to the machine: the controller and the x-ray tube unit. The controller works and there seems to be little wear in the x-ray tube unit. I have not tested this unit out because I couldn't find the control cables. My plan is to resell this to fund the fusor project. I have no experience dealing with x-ray machine so I want to consult you guys first.

This is the unit: http://datasheet.ecgoo.net:81/L/L7/L7901-01.pdf

My question is that:

1. Is it worth the cost of checking with the expert and ,if necessary, repair it ?

2. How much does it cost if it's working ?

3. If I could find the control cable, how do I test this thing out ?

Thanks all,

Jack Puntawong
Attachments
Screen Shot 2556-03-17 at 1.56.02 PM.png
Dennis P Brown

Re: Need help to estimate the price of this x-ray source

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Why do you need the control cable? To turn on the x-ray tube would be extremely dangerous without careful shielding and to what purpose? I'd be at a loss to think any one here or in the fusor community would want the x-ray tube to work, so why worry about the cable(s) at all? If the power supply is working and offers both the current and voltage needed by the average fusor, I'd think that would sell fast.

If you want to determine if the device works, just test it yourself. Use a proper high voltage probe and a voltmeter and just measure the output voltage (zero load.) If the device's scale follows the voltage, 99% likely it is working properly.

To determine the max current, feed the output through a high voltage giga ohm resistor (that is used in my high voltage probe) and use V=IR, measure the current output and see if that tracks with the scale.

If it does not work, I'd think that could be a big problem since only someone knowlegdable in the repair of digital high voltage power supplies would want to try repairing that specialized a device. Still, someone here might be interested in it even if it does not work.

Others here should have more ideas but that is how I'd approach the issue.

If you want a working fusor, one of the basic pieces of equipment and the one that is the most difficult to get, is the proper power supply - why sell this one? Mechanical fore pumps are often cheap on e-bay, and diffusion pumps are not too expensive - just wait and watch for deals. Chambers can be made from a lot of things and need not be a steel sphere. I'd say that if the power supply works, you have the most important and often one of the hardest to get items for a fusor.
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Dennis,

Sorry for not clarifying this earlier. The power supply is integrated into the x-ray tube unit it's self ,not with the controller. The controller unit you see on the left only control what the x-ray tube unit does. The controller does not require any high voltage connections so it's clear to me that it isn't a power supply.

If it were a power supply, I would have acquired a treasure! Also, the power supply in the x-ray tube offer the maximum current of only 0.1mA and I don't really want to do the modification. So, it's my goal to resell this x-ray system and look for an actually power supply on eBay.

This is what the back side of it looks like. It controls the x-ray unit via the greenish 24 pin connection.
Attachments
374486_10151492031692859_248093724_n.jpg
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I see - it could be possible to get the cable diagram from the company and wire your own control cable - rather easy since no high power cables. Just call the company, talk to a sales tech and explain you need the cable diagram and I'd think they would send a copy. Maybe they will send a copy (on line) of the entire manual - might be critical if interlocks are needed to be wired, as well. At least, to create a working unit.

The connectors appear to be standard mil type that can be obtained on e-bay.

The issue is who wants an x-ray system like this specific device? The only way I see big bucks is for a company that needs to replace their existing equipment (have a component failure) and have the same model so would be interested. Then you must have a working system.

Otherwise, this unproven device would appear to only appeal to someone who does x-ray work for fun. Then cost is the factor and you'd be in their price range without the cable and that, I'd think, would not be very high.

Best of luck.
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

The key to understanding how much something can sell for is; what purpose would it be bought for, and who would buy it?

A thing is 'worth' what someone is prepared to pay for it. Who would want to buy this?
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Chris and Dennis,

I see what you mean. The market for this item is very small and there isn't many people who would buy a unit that's not guarantee to work. I think I'll have to research some more to know what exactly is this unit is used for. I am aware that some of hamamatsu product is use in x-ray imaging for airport security and quality control. After that, I might just post it on ebay and let the someone offer me. I bought it for $100 so anything above that is great!

Thanks for your comment,

Jack Puntawong
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Jack
It would seem that this unit would be ideal for XRF (X-Ray Flourescence) for elemental determination, or maybe XRD (X-Ray crystal diffraction), althogh the power is low for XRD unless it was being used by a quartz crystal manufacturer for orientation prior to cleaving the quartz (AT, S cut etc)
richnormand

Post by richnormand »

PM sent.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”