Opinions on WiederLabs 100kV Feedthrough

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Conner Ruhl

Opinions on WiederLabs 100kV Feedthrough

Post by Conner Ruhl »

Hello all, I am considering purchasing the 100kV feedthrough from WiederLabs (www.wiederlabs.com/index.php?main_page= ... ucts_id=25). Has anyone used these feedthroughs before? Are there any reasons these aren't a good option?
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Re: Opinions on WiederLabs 100kV Feedthrough

Post by Tyler Christensen »

First off, unless you're making a fusor to crush every fusor record times a hundred, that is a very overkill feedthrough.

I'm guessing Wieder labs doesn't actually make it themselves since as far as I know, they are largely a small company formed from a DIY environment. This would make it difficult to do things such as ceramic forming and metal-to-ceramic vacuum sealing. This implies they are likely reselling it at a profit, so you might be able to get it cheaper from other vacuum companies.
Mike Beauford

Post by Mike Beauford »

A 100Kv feed-through is overkill for a fusor. Getting a power supplier that can pump that out is going to cost you $$$.

Mike
Mike Beauford
Conner Ruhl

Post by Conner Ruhl »

I doesn't have to be run at 100kV does it? I was under the impression you could select the voltage going to the grid.
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Post by Tyler Christensen »

Yes, that is true... but the point is it's a waste of money to get a 100kV 3A feedthrough if all you're ever going to run is 30kV 10mA... $1175 is quite possibly more than anyone on this site has ever paid for a feedthrough.
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

It's certainly a high-quality off-the-shelf component with price to match. For comparison shopping, and to get an idea what other designs feature, look at offerings by Ceramaseal and Insulator Seal (ISI/MDC).

Whether or not 100kV is overkill depends on your ambitions. I have had good success potting small (~20 kV) fluted insulators under oil on the air side in order to hold off 100+ kV; this is more economical and saves space compared to the air-insulated approach.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Conner Ruhl

Post by Conner Ruhl »

I am planning to build a fusor that operates at over 1MN/S. I thought that many people on here had used 60kV before, so I didn't think 100kv was that big of a deal. I will definatley look into other companies though, thanks for the heads up.
Conner Ruhl

Post by Conner Ruhl »

What other sources can provide that kind of feed through? I have a pretty considerable budget ($10,000), but am still looking to be very frugal (I am trying to go under $5,000).

Edit: I have access to a 100kV power supply that is relatively inexpensive.
swiederhold

Post by swiederhold »

We actually do manufacture our own feedthroughs. I can provide more details on the manufacturing process, if there is interest.

I’ve attached a photo showing the positive mold machined from wax, the negative mold made from potter’s plaster, and the final fired insulator.

Scott Wiederhold
WiederLabs
Attachments
100KV-Mold.jpg
Conner Ruhl

Post by Conner Ruhl »

Conner Ruhl

Post by Conner Ruhl »

It's pretty awesome that you respond on here, I enjoy reading some of your older posts. Anyways, how do you justify the price tag? It's not unreasonable, but I have found comparable products for much less.
swiederhold

Post by swiederhold »

If we sold them for as much as the first few have cost to make, the price would be significantly higher.

These guys are difficult to make. There was a lot more than just figuring out the ceramics. We had to perfect a metal spinning process to form the expansion joint made from Kovar, as well as the method of welding it to the flange (rather tricky). And, as was mentioned by an earlier poster, ceramic to metal sealing is an art in itself.

As for setting the current price: We figure in the material and labor costs, overhead and profit, and recovery of the R&D/equipment/tooling expenses. Certainly, the price reflects the market as well.
We do see the prices coming down in the future as we refine the process and are able to source materials at a better price.

Scott Wiederhold
WiederLabs
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Seems like a good price to me, on the face of it, but, Conner, how much shielding are you expecting to need for the x-rays from a 100kV fusor?

You may really want to consider a staged approach to this. There are multiple problems (as well as shielding) to overcome getting that sort of voltage into a chamber safely and effectively, and getting it doing some useful in there.

Operating at lower voltages first will give you the experience to judge how to approach such a design. Getting the right feed-through is just one piece of the jigsaw. Managing that much voltage is non-trivial in a way that makes handling 30kV look as complicated as swapping out a torch battery.

I don't think you'd be saving any time or money at all by buying 'the ultimate kit' in the first hit. Quite the contrary - lowering your targets in the first instance and follow a learning curve, then you will be better prepared to understand and optimise your future build to achieve your goal.
Conner Ruhl

Post by Conner Ruhl »

Thanks for the explanation!
Conner Ruhl

Post by Conner Ruhl »

I have access to professional assistance from university professors that are helping to make this process easier. As far as shielding goes it will only be operated at full power for very few expirements, and I am aiming for a complete lead surrounding with the device in the corner of a concrete foundation.

The main point of going "all-out" is to have the ability to reach power levels close to 100kV. That level of neutron production is essential for the research aspect of the fusor. Normal operation will only be at voltages of 30kV or less.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The mega neutron mark in most fusors that have been reported here are all above 40kv but usually under 50kv applied. It is about at 45 kv that x-radiation becomes a concern in the immediate vicicinty of the fusor though you'll measure a decent amount coming through the shell at about 35kv if real close to the body of the fusor.

Good luck with your well funded and mentored project.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Conner Ruhl wrote:
> That level of neutron production is essential for the research aspect of the fusor. Normal operation will only be at voltages of 30kV or less.

Conner, I'm not getting a strong impression of an 'enthusiastic' response to the advice the guys above have given. You seem to have fixed in your mind that 100kV is the voltage you need for the neutron rate you want, but why? You're asking people in a forum who have no experience in this regime of voltage.

100kV is a voltage, not a 'power'. What sort of power source do you have, what is its maximum current output at 100kV?

Don't mis-read me, I'm not hoping to dissuade you. Quite the opposite, I'm hoping to keep your expectations real so that you get a solid result. I think that's the best sort of advice in this scenario. But you appear to be asking for advice (in a forum where you should know people don't have experience of running 100kV) yet you then seem to be arguing with the advice too?

If your local professional assistance is confident they know how to deal with 100kV power, then you really need to rely on *their* advice than rely on an internet forum of remote responders without experience in this voltage range.

If you are certain you are going to, and need to, run to 100kV, you have the money to buy a 100kV feed-through (which seems to be a good price to me) and you have professional assistance, then there would seem little that armchair internet advisors at-a-distance can usefully add to your decisions regarding operating at 100kV.

Good luck with your project! A $10k funding pot, professional advice on tap, a 100kV power supply and space to build your project as well, this is an absolute dream ticket for most folks here so make the most of it!
Conner Ruhl

Post by Conner Ruhl »

I only keep mentioning 100kV because that's what I have available. It is a lab HV supply that outputs 100kV and has a price tag of less than $500 (amazing find). I am not entirely sure of the current, but it was in the milliamps if I remember correctly. Otherwise, the 100kV is arbitrary. I just need a rather decent neutron count (1*10^6 to 3*10^6). If I am coming of as argumentative, please don't think that's purposeful. Everything that is said here is considered carefully (all of the people here have much more knowledge of this subject than I). I print out responses and keep them in my notebook for reference later (plus things I discover while browsing. Richard Hull has quite a lot of pages in my notebook). The professional I keep referencing has a doctorate in nuclear physics. He specializes in fusion, and will be helping me with the research side of things. As for the hardware, I am working with my grandpa (works with HV daily) to make sure everything is safe.

I will have to agree with you that this is an absolute dream come true! I wouldn't trade this opportunity for anything!
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Conner Ruhl wrote:
> It is a lab HV supply that outputs 100kV and has a price tag of less than $500 (amazing find). I am not entirely sure of the current, but it was in the milliamps if I remember correctly.
Amazing indeed, as a commercial purchase. Where did you find such an item - rare indeed, with a negative going output at such a high potential? So you still need to purchase this, or it is available to you already?

If you get mA's out of it, you'll need to be mindful of how to construct and insulate your interconnections to avoid losing a few mA to coronal losses alone, if you operate at 100kV.
Conner Ruhl

Post by Conner Ruhl »

It's one of those "I know a guy" situations that is unreasonably lucky (the odds of it being available we're just rediculous). I really do need to do some more research on coronal losses. How exactly do you negate them?

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”