Another Tubbs Special: The MOltaplier, 300kV edition.

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
RobertTubbs

Another Tubbs Special: The MOltaplier, 300kV edition.

Post by RobertTubbs »

Got bored afew months back and decided I "needed" to build a 10-stage mains frequency multiplier good to about 300kV @ tens of mA. Also, I didn't want to spend more than about $50 or so, so I went and collected the carcasses of afew microwaves for their guts. Using a Pole-Piglet (potential transformer) graciously donated by Carl to various prior causes I instant-epoxied about 60 microwave oven capacitors to two, 4'x6" PVC pipes and strung 50 microwave oven diodes (12-15kV @ 200-500mA) between them. I added a glass break from a broken window to the mix to help keep down the carbon tracking. Make no mistake while this was largely for fun there was perhaps the intention of eventually chasing some PB11/PB10/PF/Uber-DD reactions.

When first tested I was pulling 70,000V out of this hysterical bad-boy with only 30V on the Variac which fed a 110/14400 Pole-Piglet, so far I've pushed it to about 150kV without having to cross my legs. I'm comfortable for now I think.

Though the power supply was finished, and performs marvelously well, I've done nothing with it and almost surely never will now due to bigger toys being available. It's still great to scare company with or get that fresh-rain smell going when you haven't showered in awhile.

Included are some pictures of the assembly and a link to a YouTube Video of it arcing through a 7Megohm Ballast. ---LINK: http://youtu.be/yRjRep3jcGo :LINK:---

Enjoy.
RT

P.S. Don't sure me, don't flame me, don't kill yourself and always recycle.
Attachments
multiplier5.jpg
multiplier4.jpg
multiplier3.jpg
multiplier2.jpg
Multiplier1.jpg
Richard Hull

Re: Another Tubbs Special: The MOltaplier, 300kV edition.

Post by Richard Hull »

Wow! I'm impressed. Lotsa' energy in that puppy.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
tbogusiak

Re: Another Tubbs Special: The MOltaplier, 300kV edition.

Post by tbogusiak »

Even if you don't find a real use for it, it'd make a good display piece either way, it's a pretty impressive looking multiplier stack

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”