Strange Feedthrough Flange

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Tidbit77

Strange Feedthrough Flange

Post by Tidbit77 »

I recently acquired a HV feedthrough from Ebay (pictured below), however I cannot identify the flange that it has been welded to. It appears to be an ASA flange, however ASA flanges do not seem to be manufactured in such a small size. Please help me identify this flange.

Will Jack
Attachments
feedthrough 004small.JPG
feedthrough small003.JPG
John Futter

Re: Strange Feedthrough Flange

Post by John Futter »

Looks like a custom flange

the rest is a 30kV nominal feedthrough should go to 50kV in dry air
myID

Post by myID »

Hi-

I have a similar feedthrough- with a square flange instead. Just turned a fitting hole in an ISO flange and mounted the feedthrough on the flange- et voila.

Hope this helps
Roman
Wilfried Heil

Post by Wilfried Heil »

That's a 3.00" OD ASA flange, from the steampipe era. One flange has a groove for an o-ring, like your connector, and the counterpart is just a flat plate.
http://www.edwards.co.il/catalog/13/130107.pdf
Tidbit77

Post by Tidbit77 »

Wilfried, please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that ASA flange sizes were determined by the inner diameter of the flange, meaning that this would be a 1.5" ASA flange with a 2.75" outer diameter, and I cannot find any of these flanges.

Will Jack
Doug Coulter

Post by Doug Coulter »

They were rare even when ASA was more popular (most steam lines were a lot bigger), but they work fine if you can tolerate viton in your system. We've used a bunch of these kind of oddball things with no problem -- like the above, it just mates to a flat plate (which has to be shiny where the O ring mates).
You may need to polish the mating surface to get it to mate leak free. You won't find its mate, I suspect, ever. But they are so simple to make, why even look?

Hint -- we've even had luck bolting things like this to the same sized CF flange if the O ring lands in the flat inner part of the CF (eg skip the knife edge and don't put a copper gasket in there). The bolts even line up fairly well. Since that part of a CF tends to be rough finish, you have to do some polish work with a dremel and buffing compound to make it seal well. With O rings, some waviness can be tolerated, but short-scale roughness will leak so it has to be shiny, even if it has a bit of fun-house mirror effect. Eg the viton can conform to a large scale warp, but not fill in tiny voids.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
Wilfried Heil

Post by Wilfried Heil »

The smallest ASA parts which I find now have an OD of 4.25" and various IDs from 0.50" up. You may have to make your own adapter flange, which should not be difficult to do.
Tidbit77

Post by Tidbit77 »

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll just make my own, I'm assuming .5" 304 SS will be sufficient?

Will Jack
Wilfried Heil

Post by Wilfried Heil »

Sure, 1/2" steel should be enough to squeeze down a viton gasket without bending. The flange that you have looks a bit thicker, like 3/4", so you just might make the other part with a similar thickness.

I have this same feedthrough with a CF flange, running at up to 50 kV with no problems.
lutzhoffman

Post by lutzhoffman »

For more options maybe see if the o-ring lines up with a KF-50 flange surface, then if it does, you may be able to use a bulkhead KF-50 style split clamp, which is available on ebay to mate it to a KF-50 weld stub etc.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”