MDP Controller?

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Chris Trent

MDP Controller?

Post by Chris Trent »

Someone's posted the info on a simple controller that should work for most Pfeiffer pumps, but I would like to have a stab at adapting it for another.

Does anyone know the pinout for the Alcatel MDP 5010 / 5011 pumps? Someone in my area has a couple of these pumps just sitting around, and I'd snatch one up in a heartbeat if I thought I could get it spinning. Might do it anyway just for good measure.

-Chris
Chris Bradley

Re: MDP Controller?

Post by Chris Bradley »

I don't know the pump you're referring to, so this comment should be taken in that context: My alcatel has a 6 pin socket { viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3958#p25343 } and it is easy to work out which ones are the motor coil windings. So if these pumps you can get also have 6 pin outputs then I think you should be able to work it out. I guess it'd be a 3 -phase, if so you need the more complicated controller that John F has put up somewhere.
Chris Trent

Post by Chris Trent »

The MDP 5010 has the same specs as the 5011, so I think it's essentially the same pump inside, just an older model. Biggest change I see is the field serviceability and extra cooling fins. The 5011 has an access port on the bottom for greasing the bearings.

I believe the one I'm looking at has 7 pins, hexagonal and center, but I don't have it in front of me.
Joe Jarski

Post by Joe Jarski »

I haven't gotten around to making a controller, but this is what I've gathered from the internal wiring on my MDP 5011.

Pin A (Red) Motor Winding
Pin B (Black) Motor Winding
Pin C (Green) Hall Sensor
Pin D (Gray) Thermistor
Pin E (White) Thermistor & Hall Sensor
Pin F (Blue) Hall Sensor

The plug I use is a MS3116F10-6S, same as on the Varian V60/V70.

Warning: I'm probably one of the least knowledgeable here on this subject - so use at you're own risk!
Chris Trent

Post by Chris Trent »

Thanks Joe,

That's a lot more than I had to go on yesterday.
Based on that pin out this shouldn't be too hard.
Chris Trent

Post by Chris Trent »

Additional data on the pinout Here:

http://www.wimmeralogic.com/adixen-alca ... -5011.html

Thanks to Gregory Eckersley.
Joe Jarski

Post by Joe Jarski »

Thanks for the link Chris. I was going to have to get my drag pumps running soon, so that'll help a lot with the rest of the wiring and running voltages.
Chris Trent

Post by Chris Trent »

Pinout for MDP 5010 is slightly different,

Pins are nubmbered 1-7,
1 Motor Coil
2 Motor Coil
3 Unused
4 Hall Sensor output, (-4V relative to pin 7)
5 Unused
6 Hall Sensor negative
7 Hall Sensor positive

It appears that a thermistor is wired in series with the motor between the stator coils.

The hall sensor is nestled between the two coils on the opposite side.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”