How much diff oil do I need?

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
fpg

How much diff oil do I need?

Post by fpg »

I´m soon to buy some DC-704 diffusion pump oil for my 2.5" air cooled veeco diffusion pump ( see picture viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3078#p12588).

I know that I´m not the only one using this kind of pump here and wonder how much oil the pump needs? and if it is it worth buying a 500 ml bottle or is it enough to buy the 50 or 30 ml bottles on ebay?

Thanks in advance,
Fredrik Parnefjord Gustafsson
Richard Hester

Re: How much diff oil do I need?

Post by Richard Hester »

Buy (2) 50s or a 50 and a 30, or (1) 100ml bottle. Pumps that size usually take between 50 to 100 ml for a charge. A polite email to Duniway might yield an exact answer, as they keep a good library of information on obsolete pumps.
Tidbit77

Post by Tidbit77 »

I have the same pump. I believe that the last time I put oil in it, I put in about 75mL, but I think the recommended charge is 50mL-75mL.

I am not using an expensive, nice oil yet (although I have obtained some). But rather I am using Diffoil-20, which is sold as a mechanical pump oil, yet works in diffusion pumps. It is far cheaper and thus far less costly if you ruin or oxidize your oil, although it apparently does not perform as well as nicer oils.

~WJ
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

It is $30 at LDS. Great company.

http://vacuumshopper.stores.yahoo.net/lds704sildif.html

Frank Sanns
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”