Leybold TMP50 cable construction (4 images)

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
JohnWaskey

Leybold TMP50 cable construction (4 images)

Post by JohnWaskey »

Hey Everybody. This is a quick post for anyone interested in making a cable for their TMP50. Utilizing some advice from John Futter, I recently threw one together and though I'd share. It's a snap to make.

Parts List:
Hirschmann 932109-100 connector: $2.32
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... KU=3910008

Cable: 7 feet of 4/14awg conductor double shielded flex cable. $28.63
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9243k32/=9u3ulm
This cable is a bit excessive but works perfectly.

I'm running my cable to an NT13 so I have added some simple crimp quick connects to the controller side. I also twisted and insulated the cable screen then made the appropriate connection to the controller. The basic construction is pretty self-explanatory. I will mention that the conductor schematic on the connector conveniently matched the pinout on the TMP50 so I didn't have to rearrange anything. The great thing about having this part of the build finished is knowing that the TMP50 and NT13 I pulled off ebay work perfectly. The only downside is the new knowledge that I will need someway to throttle this turbo. It extinguishes the rudimentary AC plasma run from a 15/30 NST in less than 30 seconds after it's powered on. This, unfortunately is my only way to estimate the pressure in my chamber as I have yet to get the chambers ion gauge working. That will be next. Hope this helps.
-J
Attachments
photo(5).JPG
photo(4).JPG
photo(4).JPG (62.43 KiB) Viewed 3553 times
photo(2).JPG
photo(6).JPG
Nicker

Re: Leybold TMP50 cable construction (4 images)

Post by Nicker »

Nice work.

Wish I knew this before I made some purchases.

heidib

Post by heidib »

Thanks so much for this guide! The ebay sellers I contacted didn't know what kind of cable connects the parts that they were selling, and the pump manual didn't have any info on wiring.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Perhaps between John Futter and John Waskey, a cable wiring diagram would be possible.

Also, these pumps operate with only a few watts, and (I think) fairly low voltage. So cables with # 18 AWG would probably be fine, from the electrical standpoint. A size larger (#16 AWG) might be better from a mechanical durability standpoint.

Dave Cooper

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”