Positive HV Fusor

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Eldarion

Positive HV Fusor

Post by Eldarion »

I have come across many references saying that fusors may be run using a positive HV power supply although few people choose to do so. Does anyone know how to do this? I have not been able to find references for that.
Chris Bradley

Re: Positive HV Fusor

Post by Chris Bradley »

I've said it once. last time:

I went to 'search' [on the top line] and entered 'lethal' and instantly got;

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2214&hilit=lethal#p13187

There are plenty of link to your question.

Please use the search.
Dan Tibbets

Post by Dan Tibbets »

As far as I know there is no absolute barrier against a pos grid 'pushing' ions towards the center vs a neg grid 'pulling' them. Though I have not been able to find a good reference, I've heard it mentioned in several places. I beleive that the Elmor, Tuck and Watson approach utilized this method. It is a part of the Pollywell approach.
The only concern would be if you used the vacuum vessel/ shell as the grid. This would be dangerous as the voltage would be exposed on the surface. A positive grid inside the vessel with the shell being grounded would not be any different from a neg potential driven fusor from a safty standpoint.

Both a central negative grid and a positive outer grid could be used ( and I'm sure has been) in tandom. It would be more complex with essentially two power supplies, feedthroughs, standoffs, etc.
I've speculated that this approach could be used with modest increased complexity with a center taped transformer like a oil igniter or neon sign transformer. One lead could go to the neg grid while the other lead could go to a pos grid ( with appropiatly orentated diodes). This could allow full exploitation of the voltage rating of the transformer. I'm not sure what the effect would be on the aviable current. And the shell would possibly need to be larger to accomidate the increased spacing needed for the extra electrode. One feethrough with two wires could be used if adiquite insulation, etc was used.

Dan Tibbets
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

I've often wondered why not two grids, the outer one at HV+ and the inner either at ground or at -100V or so. The shell, of course, would still be grounded and neutral. If that configuration would work one could use the cheaper and more readily available HV+ supplies, and a cheap lab supply. The drawbacks being the cost of two feed thrus (one hv, and one regular electrical feed).
-Mark Siegel
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

It has been used before.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”