Update on deuterium prices...anything better out there?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Carl Willis

Update on deuterium prices...anything better out there?

Post by Carl Willis » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:07 pm

Just got a quote for CP-grade deuterium, 50 liter LB / CGA-350 cylinder from Advanced Specialty Gases, which unlike many sellers will refill their own LB cylinders.

Cost of the bottle and first fill: $525.00 + UPS.
Cost of a refill: $475.

Good grief, this stuff has gone WAY up in price since I last checked! My previous cylinder was bought four years ago from Spectra and, with shipping, wasn't over $200.

If anyone knows who's able to beat the above quote today, let me know. I'm still waiting to hear from some of the other players.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277

Brian McDermott

Re: Update on deuterium prices...anything better out there?

Post by Brian McDermott » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:10 pm

Woah! That price has more than doubled over the $220 I payed them 2 years ago. I referred someone to ASG two months ago and they payed essentially the same price I did. Something must have happened very recently that led to this price increase.

wayne

Post by wayne » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:46 pm

I paid $275.00 one month ago, as per Brian's suggestion.

wayne

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:18 pm

At $500.00 per bottle, even I might consider the electrolysis route even though it is a struggle. D2O is a lot cheaper per unit contained D2 than this recent rash of cylinder gas price increases.

Opps, I haven't rechecked the 100ml D2O prices lately. Has that gone up over the normal 50-60 bucks???

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:42 pm

Well, I got a quote from Matheson that is more reasonable, but also is for more gas. They have a #4 cylinder (100 standard liters) for about $530, which is unquestionably refillable and which I think I can pick up locally from their Albuquerque facility and skip a HAZMAT charge. However, that's an awful lot of gas! They don't offer deuterium in the LB cylinders. Haven't heard back from Spectra. I also have not tried going to our local welding supply store (AirCo or somesuch).

One thing that surprised me about the ASG quote is the relatively minimal cost of the cylinder and CGA-350 fitting (only $50) in contrast with the god-awful price of the gas. I hope they checked the right grade of gas.

When I end up buying something I will let folks know what I do. This market is obviously volatile. Also, I have a nagging suspicion that the recent crackdowns on the hobby chemical dealers are going to impact the availability of research gases before too long.

Thanks Brian, Wayne, and Richard for chiming in. Wayne, I reckon your project is getting close to "cooking" some of that deuterium?

-Carl
Carl Willis

Brian McDermott

Post by Brian McDermott » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:52 pm

I would call ASG and ask for an explanation of the price hike. You are ordering 99% purity and not something rediculous like 99.999% right?

There is little explanation for a 200% price increase in only a month, save for a pretty bad foul-up/accident at whatever plant is producing their Deuterium supply.

wayne

Post by wayne » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:03 pm

The water cooling is tested.
We are wiring up the system to be USB controlled.
I will pull a vacuum next week, then use the RGA for leaks and
contamination measurements.
This is fun, but slow.

wayne

Edward Miller

Post by Edward Miller » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:56 am

I found that D2 from ASG was at least half as expensive as some of the competitors. I got quotes from Praxair, Spectra, Airgas, Scott, Fisher, and a few others. ASG was also very easy to deal with compared to others.

DO NOT ORDER OR INQUIRE WITH SPECTRA GASES.

Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:59 am

Hi Edmo,

Do you want to elaborate on your issues with Spectra? I dealt with them back in '02 or '03 and had a positive experience and as I mentioned, did not pay too much.

Thanks,
Carl
Carl Willis

bwsparxz

Post by bwsparxz » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:05 pm

On ASG website , they list deuterium as 99.999%. We really don't need they level of purity? Carl, let me know the best you find as I am about to get a tank soon. Richard, I agree , that if prices are this high , electrolysis is a cheaper way to go, abet, harder to use