deuterium handeling

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
UG!

deuterium handeling

Post by UG! »

I am about to build the deuterium handling system and there are some things i need to know. I am building a D2O slitter based system.

What (if any) plastics are deuterium compatable? to what extent will D swap with H in polymers/adhesivs/sealents? is the situation the same for D2O? will plastic seals on D2O containers have any notecible effect? are Brass and copper acceptable materials to buid the pipework out of? to what extent will D2O exposed to the atmosphere grab H2O? (my bottle of D2O states that it is hydroscopic and should be stored under nitrogen, this sounds rather extreme(?))

Oliver
Wilfried Heil

Re: deuterium handeling

Post by Wilfried Heil »

While it sounds interesting and is certainly feasible to make some deuterium gas on the cheap and in small quantities, doesn´t this create more problems than it solves? To me this sounds a bit like raising your own potatos on your balcony.

A small aluminum minican with 12 liters of clean and dry D2 can be bought from Linde / Spectra Gases / Messer Griesheim / Air Liquide for about USD 80.-.

D2 will diffuse through any plastic at a slow rate. In your case, this probably doesn´t matter, as you will be making it only when needed. What I would be concerned about is the formation of explosive mixtures with air (from about 5% D2 up). So you will either need to flush out the air with D2, or to evacuate the tubing first. Evacuation may be difficult here, as the D2O would start to boil at low pressure.

To get an idea of what a H2/O2 explosion sounds like, you can bubble some H2 gas through soap water, then light the bubbles with a rather long match. You´ll be impressed.
UG!

Post by UG! »

but i LIKE homegrown potatos ;)

i was reely just worried about contamination of the D with H from elastomer o-rings and suchlike, alough the prospect of the D defusing through the D20 to the O2 side when the device is powered down is somewhat worying.

Oliver
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

I've quoted Linde , here in Hungary, a 12 L "Minican" (that's it's commercial name) costs about 140-150 dollars. AND i would need an additional adapter for the cylinder, to extract the gas from it (a simple needle valve with a nozzle), which costs more than a 100 dollars....That's a bit too steep i would say.

Adam
UG!

Post by UG! »

indead the price of the regulator is rather excessive. i was given a resonable amount of D2O for free, and would obviously like to make use of that. another advantage of D2O is if one gets bored with fusor work, it can be used for sonofusion or LENR/CANR experaments as well :)

work on my D2O splitter has been ruthlessly halted however by a most dissagreable shortage of 1/4" glass tube, which is vital to the effort :(

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”