Doing the things cheaper.

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Gyaca

Doing the things cheaper.

Post by Gyaca »

For someones is dificult or expensive to get deuterium bottles and the necesary regulator. For this reason I have looked for a cheaper solution.
For less than 20$ is possible to get 20 g. of heavy water, that it is more or less 20 liters of deuterium. The heavy water has the advantage that is posible to store indefinitely wihtout losses. A simple electrolitical cell produce the deuterium in the quantity that we need and just on time. A fuel inyector from a car (from the scrach) with some improvementes, controled by the pressure metter and a simple electronic circuit, can regulate the presure inside the fusor chamber, at any value with a precission of a couple of microns.
The total cost of the system is less than 50$ and some hours of work. I think that this is afordable for everybody.

Gerardo Meiro

See Images du Jour

Re: Doing the things cheaper.

Post by guest »

I am doing something very similar but to get precise
measurements I use a baisting syringe with the ccs marked on it.

Larry Leins
Fusion Tech
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

Though this approach (electrolyzing heavy water) is cheaper, you will get a fair amount (actually, quite a lot) of heavy water vapor into the vacuum chamber along with the D2, unless you use a cold trap.
JohnCuthbert

Post by JohnCuthbert »

Not sure if this counts as cheap, but you can separate D2 from water vapour with a hot palladium foil. H2 (and isotopes) diffuse through it
Tom Dressel

Post by Tom Dressel »

Geraldo:

Where did you get the D2O?

Tom Dressel

Post by guest »

I would think that a gas flow controller and a descecant would be necessaties for doing this.

Although a descacant filter is always a good idea for gas introduction into vacuum chamber.

Gas flow controller can be quite expensive however,...
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

A dessicant is great for general gas drying, where you dont want to recover the water it traps. But for drying D2, electrolysed from heavy water, a cold trap seems better, since it allows the trapped heavy water to be recovered and reused.

A poor man's cold trap could do a tolerable job of drying using a rock salt and crushed ice pack outside a copper tube with baffles. Dry ice or ideally liquid Nitrogen, would better, of course.

the heavy water route sounds interesting.

Dave Cooper
Tom Dressel

Post by Tom Dressel »

Yes, heavy water sounds great, especially if one is considering a hybrid system using IEC to bombard a deuterium loaded palladium target.

Where does one get D2O?

Tom Dressel

Post by guest »

The following link is a supplier of Deuterium Oxide(D2o). At $385.00 for 1000 grams(minimum order) it is far more costly to go this way than to buy the Airgas $120.00 lecture bottle of D2.

However, the benifits of learning how to produce a D2o cracking device may indicate otherwise for the do-it-yourselfer.

http://www.isotope.com/cil/products/lis ... ?cat_id=71

Mark Rowley
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I'll do a total summary under a new title post.

"deuterium gas on demand - cheap"

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
AllenWallace

Post by AllenWallace »

My son and I are planning to generate D2 using this reaction: D20
+ Mg = D2+ Mg0.

I’ll pour a few grams of heavy water into some silica gel, which will
be my vapor source. The D20 vapor will be valved into a tube full
of hot Magnesium filings, which is connected to the Fusor
chamber.

P.S., I bought my D20 at the local university for about $20 for 20
grams.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”