Brian McDermott

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Brian McDermott

Brian McDermott

Post by Brian McDermott »

Greetings,

I am a High School freshman (soon to be sophomore) living in Sudbury, Massachusetts (near Boston) and I have become fascinated by the world of nuclear physics. I spend most of my free time doing amateur rocketry, which is now under attack by the ATF (the rocket community is lobbying congress for an exemption). Until recently, I had no idea that an amateur could perform D-D fusion in the garage or basement! Then, I stumbled onto Richard Hull's website while reading an entry for Beryllium on Theodore Gray's Periodic Table page.

I must say that I am amazed with what I have seen here over the past month or so. I was also suprised to learn that the IEC fusor was one of Farnsworth's Inventions. I now intend on building an operational fusor over the year or so, and am already awaiting delivery of a vacuum pump. I plan on ordering Richard Hull's tapes in a few weeks. That being said, I wish to be added to the "scrounger's list".

Brian
3l

Re: Brian McDermott

Post by 3l »

Welcome Brian:

I know what you mean on rockets, The Bureau of Tabacky and Fireworks ran my rocket group out of the Dallas Area.
My buddy took it personal, he got a job at LTV designing Patriot Missiles. He tells me that we could have done the same thing..
with C4 stuff. Yike! But no Thanks!

We get roudy sometimes but we are a desciplined group of about half elders and half kids...in our wildest dreams would we not have thought this business would become so large.
Since you have had a chance to look at the website, don't worry there is no test.
Most of the core researchers have day jobs and do this part time.
Don't worry everyone is new at this stuff...even the "old" hands
Don't worry it is a catch as catch can kinda thing.
And no we don't do funny hats and robes prostrate in front of a univerisity to do stuff ....most don't. I don't.

After 4 years of working in this stuff...it's still pretty stimulating... dive in ...the waters are fine.
Technically tho I was hooked on fusion in 1962 by those darn AEC Pamplets!

Check out the trading post for Richard Hull's how to videos

Welcome to the fusor group.
Yes we have gobs ( a lot of) of data.
Our newbie section is not so low level as to be boring.
I would use it first.
Secondly would be the "Songs"
And thirdly would be the Intranet postings
This group has covered a lot of ground since it started in 1997. We are on our third web site.
Oh yeah... check out the Ligon Analog Article
http://torsatron.tripod.com/fusor/fusor.html
The original patents are on Bert Poole's website:
http://www.hot-streamer.com/pool/philo/philo.htm

We are still in the research stage.
Engineering stage is a while away.
But you Already knew that!
As a Service to all fusion people we have the following
article:
It is in the The Fusion Powered Future

2002-04-16 15:07 On to every parade a little rain must fall. (Richard Hull) [Latest: 2002-04-19 14:50] (6)

Check out Richard Hull's High energy website
http://rhull.home.infionline.net

We are still in the research stage.
Engineering stage is a while away.
But you Already knew that!
As a Service to all fusion people we have the following
article:
It is in the The Fusion Powered Future

2002-04-16 15:07 On to every parade a little rain must fall. (Richard Hull) [Latest: 2002-04-19 14:50] (6)

Ryan Edgar created the website you see here.
He also is the webmaster of the site.

Our original webmaster of previous websites and the host of the present one, Paul Schatzkin (The Perfessor) has published a book, "The Boy Who Invented Television: A Story of Inspiration, Persistence, and Quiet Passion." It is, as the title says, a biography of Philo T. Farnsworth, who did indeed devise the system of television we still use today in 1921, when he was 14 years old.

Fusion is fun! :))

Larry Leins (3L)
Fusion Tech
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Brian,

I have added you to the Scroungers list and welcome aboard.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

Welcome Brian!
Oh by the way, what is this "scrounger's list"? Am i missing something? :)

Adam
grrr6

Post by grrr6 »

In the announcements forum there is a list of all fusioneers, past and present, its in the "FUSIONEER LIST (updated)" post half way from the top of the second page. Its all explained there.
3l

Re: Brian McDermott-UPDATED

Post by 3l »

Hi Brian:

Now that you are a member you can post in fusor construction and image de jour,in fact any of the rellavent forums would do.
The intro forum is just that an intro...most members will miss it
here! Why not repost your parts image on Image de jour forum?
The members are always interested to see what folks are up to.

Thanx

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
Brian McDermott

Post by Brian McDermott »

It's crazy to think that more time has passed since my last neutron run than my age at the time, but after nearly 20 years, I'm back!

The Fusor project was the first step that sent me down a winding path through the nuclear engineering field, first through neutron time of flight spectroscopy, and later into (fission) reactor engineering, supercomputing, and quantum technologies. I'm now in a position where I'm interacting with many students and younger engineers looking to work on cool projects, many of whom are intrigued by the idea of backyard nuclear fusion. Having pointed so many people to this site over the years, it's good to see the Fusor community is alive and well! In this day and age of Arduinos, edge computing, and AI, I'd imagine people can do far more impressive things than was possible in 2005!

I still have my old vacuum chamber and detector instrumentation, although my home setup right now is less conducive to producing neutrons than it was when I was a student. I'm still happy to be a resource to the community, especially for the younger crowd just starting out!
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Glad your back - you predate me by a lot. Good to see another experienced poster here to help people here.
Ignorance is what we all experience until we make an effort to learn
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Whoa, this is a deep dive!

What a surprise to see Larry Liens page among these posts... from 2003! This site HAS been around a long time.

And Brian, I must thank you once again for your "pretty star" image. I used it again last week in my presentation at the Cosmic Summit.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

Welcome back!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Brian, glad to hear from you and that you are steering younger fusion enthusiasts to these forums. I remember you came to one or two HEAS gatherings in October. The thirty fifth year of these events is coming up the first Saturday in October. If you are close, you might want to give a talk about your journey here and in the work-a-day world of engineering and physics.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”