Introduction

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Richard Hodson

Introduction

Post by Richard Hodson »

My name is Richard Hodson. I studied fusion projects for decades as a hobby and decided fusor technology is superior and have a unique fusor design that is in stealth mode. I would make it public domain but want to profit somehow first.
Ryan Ginter

Re: Introduction

Post by Ryan Ginter »

Greetings Richard,

You will find that the long-time members of this forum only harbor an interest in true scientific work. If you have an idea build it, test it, then report back with your results. Present the data in a way that ensures your measurements are a reflection of reality without false positives from environmental noise.

Through the collective experience garnered by the forum members, we already know what can be realistically achieved by a fusor device. Any claim that lies outside of this expectation will necessitate substantial evidence.
Richard Hodson

Post by Richard Hodson »

I wrote an intro but lost it and just posted that quick post. I need to test this post first before typing an hour again. My design could fail and there are not many changes I would consider making except a few unrelated to the fusor body itself. I plan a short term project and don't want to drag it out like well funded fusion projects are doing. Others might find results useful for their design efforts. I studied most fusion projects except only a few tokamaks and tried designing many types of fusion devices before ending up back at IEC fusor tech. I also studied Bussards and Sesselmanns work and patents. Many hobbyists could do this but I'm trying. I am over 60 with MS since 2004 and am disabled and it's hard to travel. I'm a ME drop out at UNM but obtain an associates in EM drafting and technology at CNM. I was in the AF and went to aircraft school before that and built ultralights in Albuquerque and then was a CAD circuit board drafter for 7 years then dropped out of tech mostly and started studying fusion in 2004 abouts. I had checked out a fusor history book from the library in 1995 that I found fascinating but never pursued it further until 2004 when I could print Wikipedia and study things. I started with inertial fusion projects and bomb history. Then a bunch of other methods then tokamaks last. I have patent fatigue. I'm not as knowledgeable as scientists and decided against that path in college after researching different fields and requirements. I don't know that many scientist named effects and phenomenon. I studied mostly what was needed and may perform poorly when quizzed. Your upper level chat room will mostly fly over my head. I'm looking for funding to start a project if low cost tests work. In case it takes more effort than estimated but also because I'm poor and don't want to give this away but may have to if my health fails worse. My hobby or business effort will be near Albuquerque hopefully. If tests fail I won't feel ashamed. Rough modeling checks out but I am still leary because of history. I can learn about past fusor projects here but also want it as insurance in case my health fails to dump my design. Some may laugh or say it won't work and someone may build it and win prizes even if it's public domain. It's really about the earth and my design is over 7 years old. I quit studying mostly in 2017. So studied hard for 13 years and had just given up trying and tried one last design. My design on paper before that was a biconic cusp using large NEOs outside a pyrex sphere. It was laughed out of Sesselmanns fb fusor builders group. I was avoiding HV. Electron microscopes used HV but now use magnetic lensing.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Welcome, Richard, and thank you for introducing yourself.

May I suggest you edit your post to provide some paragraph breaks? That's a big block of text for the wandering eye to digest.

Thanks

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Hello and glad you have a hobby that both holds your interest and you enjoy.

No idea, however good it appears in one's mind is going to work because you envision the concept(s) based on currently non-working approaches (through the German effort is certainly a good path.) Either experimental testing or proper theoretical demonstration (for fusion, certainly will require advanced code for E&M/plasma) are the sole methods.

That does not mean a novel idea is not worthwhile to study and work upon - certainly that is how one starts in science - but to be taken seriously, one must then follow one of those two paths.

As for funding, that you will have to do yourself and the experiments must be rigorous and clear- that means very careful measurement of plasma conditions (ion temps, etc) and if using deuterium, neutron measurements. The later is a very difficult measurement standard that must be met.

The fact remains that no one will fund any such idea based on speculation alone; that is, unless they have a PhD in the field and can use the technical expertise to demonstrate, on a theoretical bases at the least, the concept(s). Otherwise, truthfully, such an attempt would be a waste of your time & effort.

This part is critical - one must be capable of handling disagreement and correction. If one can not handle such, it is best not to share ideas alone - only properly calibrated and rigorous data is useful to counter doubts.

No matter whether you do or do not do those essential task's to be taken seriously, having a goal and pursuing it is certainly a good use of one's time. Best of luck in your study and possible work.
Ignorance is what we all experience until we make an effort to learn
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

The previous thread of badly edited post and follow-ups has been deleted.

Carry on.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”