Proper Introduction

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Allen_Rice

Proper Introduction

Post by Allen_Rice »

Hello Fusor.net users,

My name is Allen J. Rice, but if you want to be a bit more casual, you can just go with AJ. Have been working with high pressure and control systems for about a year now. I'm an engineering student. My major is in Mechanical Engineering, with a focus on propulsion. Although the majority of my projects connect to liquid rocketry, nuclear fusion has always been an interest. I'm currently at the beginning of my nuclear fusor project. I have done a fair bit of research through the forums here as well as on the interwebs. I have the first basic design concept CAD, but I have a feeling that the final device will look nothing like what the design looks like now. many more iterations to get through.

Other projects I am either researching, have on the back burner, let live rent free in my mind, or are currently involved in are right here:
- Liquid gas generator (ideally nitrogen but its being a little ***** right now)
- Planetary gearbox actuator
- Regeneratively cooled rocket engine
- Lander Vehicle (for the CPLC challenge)
- Space Liquid Rocket
- Cyclotron
- Biometric Gun
- Hydroponic Farm (strawberries, yum)
- toilet that shoots fire at you when you try to defecate in it then it calls you a slur.

Yeah. probably more information than you needed but you get a picture of my interests.

Most of these projects are actually things I have already or currently am designing. I can't start building a lot of them because I don't have a lot of money right now. The fusor project is actually in a very similar boat, where I'm really just doing research and creating conceptual designs. Eventually I should be able to turn one of the conceptual designs into a preliminary and start working on a budget for the device. And then as soon as internship money comes in, use that to fund the construction of a star in my garage.

But anyway, that's where I'm at.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Re: Proper Introduction

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Welcome, AJ, and thank you for that very detailed introduction.

Sound like you've got a lot of plates spinning there!

I am pleased to hear that you have found this site useful and look forward to your contributions to come.

Good luck!

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Welcome.

Having goals and projects is useful but creating massive numbers of unrelated projects is a recipe for getting none done successfully. Some that you suggest require massive and extremely expensive/complex equipment. I'd recommend paring that list down to one project that really interests you and that you have a source for the components.

I built a regenerative cooler system and that can be done using old refrigerators (in High School), and other equipment easy to obtain. However, liquefying nitrogen is a difficult goal.

One of our better posters is developing the equipment/design for a low cost fusor - but even that will likely be $1000.
Last edited by Dennis P Brown on Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Welcome Allen

It's great to have goals. Hopefully, it keeps you moving and thinking. Landing on one of them hard is likely to see you reach it.

I know two or three guys who have many projects in progress. Stuff laying all around, half finished, but they say I'll get around to it.
I have done many projects to completion and a lot more on my drawing board and have the gear to see them through. I would far prefer to never start a project than to drop it in mid-stream. The image of all those other guys "half-dones" remains in my mind.

All the best in whatever you do in future.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”