I Guess We Can Stop Worrying About AI Now!

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

I Guess We Can Stop Worrying About AI Now!

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

I have been reading/hearing recently that the energy requirements will eventually dwarf those of its ravenous digital cousin, cryptocurrency.

So, how fitting that the latest laughable item to come through my Google Alerts informs us that Sam Altman––the public face of Artificial Intelligence––has found the solution for all that computational consumption:
Artificial intelligence is energy-hungry and as companies race to make it bigger, smarter and more complex, its thirst for electricity will increase even further. This sets up a thorny problem for an industry pitching itself as a powerful tool to save the planet: a huge carbon footprint.

Yet according to Sam Altman, head of ChatGPT creator OpenAI, there is a clear solution to this tricky dilemma: nuclear fusion.

from: https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/26/climate/ ... index.html

Phew. We can relax now.

If that's the prerequisite, we know the robots won't be taking over any time soon.

Right, Richard? 🤣

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Richard Hull

Re: I Guess We Can Stop Worrying About AI Now!

Post by Richard Hull »

First, I read the entire article like a good little boy, so that I might speak to it.

We are so far removed from fusion being here as we are in trying to go to the nearest star!

Just more good vibes spread about in the fusion world along with the climate change word.

Plenty of smoke blown up the skirts of the elite panty-waist futurist hopefuls. A beautiful world awaits if only we just............

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

The solution is so simple: AI can solve how to do fusion by using fusion energy to drive it. Snake - see tail. Solution to food problem, too. Er, well, at least for snakes.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I sometimes feel this rush to AI is the new Manhattan project, but without the controls. The result is not a killing engine designed from the get-go, but a Genie let out of the bottle in an attempt to make a more perfect servant, yet with all of man's worst traits developing from it as it sings a siren's song to those who see money at the end of a brief period of the Genie's beneficence.

Is Skynet in the making? Will we remain in the driver's seat? Is there a true "plug" we can pull? Is it a brave new world or just another fresh hell?

As this is my fifteen thousandth posting here, I hope it is not a harbinger predicting a bad future direction for mankind.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Wow, 15 K! Congratulations to you but more so to everyone on the forum that gets your invaluable input to our endless questions; better still, you put up with so many of us asking far too familiar questions.

As for your current posting, I think you nailed it - AI is the wish granting Genie rather than a pure weapon. I still have doubts that any current AI is any thing more then code that can correct via complex and far too inefficient linear code. Hence its power requirements are growing far faster then its capabilities. The perfect example of a sledgehammer instead of a Framing hammer for driving std nails. Functions but crude, too heavy and likely to do a poor job at high cost.

Till weapons are autonomous - wow, getting uncomfortably close there, apparently - we are mostly safe.

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”