High voltage feedthrough

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
JacksonCzarniak09

High voltage feedthrough

Post by JacksonCzarniak09 »

Hello,

I am wondering what size wire should be used in the inner grid, not the extension but the part that allows the plasma to collect on it. Thanks!
Dennis P Brown

Re: High voltage feedthrough

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I do not know if the FAQ's have that specific information. Have you searched that section for that detail? Your post does not mention if you did that. Of course, wire size depends on material - steel, Ti, W - used and that you have not mentioned.

After a quick (hardly exhaustive search but I will say I didn't find any specific details on wire diameter through a good bit on overall cathode size.) But certainly, what wire type you use is essential - tungsten is best then steel (bendable and still heat resistant.) I use steel alloy about2.5 - 3 mm diameter wire. 'W' could be less but not really bendable. Some use solid cathodes (cylinder.)
Last edited by Dennis P Brown on Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JacksonCzarniak09

I have searched on the faq page and it does not seem to have that, just information on creating a appropriate electrical field ( I have already done the math for that). I plan on using tungsten for the extension and for the rings, for lack of better term.
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

Larger diameter wire will typically be able to handle higher currents. Even thin tungsten, which you plan to use, can handle a lot. Anything from, say, 0.5mm to a couple mm should work just fine, especially for your first go at it. I'm curious what you mean by "creating an appropriate field" and the math you've done.
Ryan Ginter

Post by Ryan Ginter »

FAQ for cathode grid construction tips is here.

viewtopic.php?p=59687#p59687
JacksonCzarniak09

Ok thanks. What i meant buy that was creating a electric field near the base around 7.8e6 v/M, because my starting field would have been about 2e7 v/M.
JacksonCzarniak09

It came out to an extension of 12.25 mm

Return to “New User Chat Area”