Type One Energy

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Joe Gayo

Type One Energy

Post by Joe Gayo »

TYPE ONE ENERGY COLLABORATES WITH TVA, ORNL ON POTENTIAL FUSION PROTOTYPE AT BULL RUN PLANT
https://typeoneenergy.com/potential-sit ... dentified/

Includes money from both the State of TN and DOE.

It's mostly symbolism, but Oak Ridge is becoming Fusion Town, USA.
Richard Hull

Re: Type One Energy

Post by Richard Hull »

If any organization, big or small, can claim new green energy efforts on any front, they are in with the current "in crowd". Funding for feel good energy is always at hand.

What is old, (1952) spitzer stellarator, is new again with the same hope of grid energy, but with new clothes for the emperor to parade around in. (Technological advancements over 1952).

Sadly much of any seed money is consumed on new hires for staff, all of which have yet to turn at bolt in construction and then, there is all that ancillary gear needed to gather data that is never clearly given to the public. All of this, before any hardware is to be found. You have to look good and serious, up front. That is how more of the money substances are kept streaming in.

I just learned that JET has broken all of its previous record runs, just as it is being shutdown forever. There is always a last gasp before death.

Well wishes to all show efforts, naturally.

Thanks, Joe, for the heads up on this "new startup" site.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Alexander Ziemecki

Post by Alexander Ziemecki »

Thanks for posting, joe, love seeing this kind of news. Type One is a pretty promising company. I got meet a lot of them back in November, I think. Nice guys. I think they're currently hiring right now - I've seen more than a few postings on linkedin in the last month. So, if anyone wants to get into professional fusion, now may be the time.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

As the German's have clearly demonstrated, the stellarator concept is superior - that old concept now works solely thanks to super computers. These are essential to design the magnets. Stellarator's work better than tokamaks. Too bad that is faint praise. Yes, it is extremely likely the Wendelstein X-7 will hold a power plant density/temperature plasma for thirty minutes sometime in the next five years. Yet the issues of a burning plasma - deuterium/tritium are far beyond that - the neutron threat is staggering*. And frankly, there is no way that issue alone can be addressed in any manner that would lead to a possible real proto-type reactor in the next fifteen years, at best (assuming a level of development matching the 60's space program.)

Far worse, any solution to that neutron threat issue will likely result in an extremely complex reactor that will be cost prohibitive for power production. Fusion research is a good idea - especially the stellarator concept. Certainly addressing the wall threat problem is vital (and slowly getting started by the DOE.) But expecting this approch to produce economical power is, certainly for the next thirty years, complete nonsense. Frankly, I highly doubt it will ever be 'economical' using any plasma based system.

Both Oak Ridge and Princeton have contributed to and work with the Wendelstein program. Princeton shut down their start on a stellarator back in the 2000 time frame because they realized that the expense was beyond their ability to secure funding. Likely Oak Ridge and this start up will discover a similar issue. The cost for a stellarator like Wendelstein will exceed a billion dollars (if lucky). Money like that isn't gonna happen by congress nor investors. So, seriously doubt this will ever advance pass the "we created a web page" level :)

Its interesting that the wall threat for a laser implosion reactor is far easier to address and likely not to be 'cost' prohibitive. A decided advantage of an implosion drive system.

* The sole reason Jet finally tried to use a real mix (DT) was that they were shutting down so making the walls highly radioactive (and damaging the expensive SC magnets) was not now an issue. So, of course they set neutron flux levels and total power records for a tokamak.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I am glad to see some here are developing a bean counter mindset. I have discussed this at length.

Currently, the bean counter aspect of fusion is the ultimate hurdle. It is the last hurdle for fusion, regardless of total fusion success!

Fusion, if ever to be supplying electrical power, will have to pass an economic muster which must never raise by more than 10% the current watt-hour electrical rate. Power company bean counters will have to rule, in the end, whether the corporate executives will even begin to consider fusion reactor construction. If passed, there will be another delay as construction begins.

Again, if fusion total Q exceeds 10.0 consideration may begin, but if it is a Q>20, then fusion is in for sure, assuming amortization will not take 50 years to pay for the build.

Fusion dollars in power company pockets talks. Dreams of future fusion energy walks.
While fussion future dreams walks, billions are spent on ideas that never come to fruition.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Announcements and Site Administration Topics”