Registration to post on the site is active again with approval

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Registration to post on the site is active again with approval

Post by Frank Sanns »

Registration for new users to post on the site is currently disabled. It will be opened again in few days so check back.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: Registration to post on the site is active again with approval

Post by Frank Sanns »

Registration is now open but must be approved by Paul, Richard, or me.

It requires one of us to login and a report will be generated in the notifications panel. There is an Activate User or Delete User in the control panel. Richard, I think you can activate but not delete. Let me know when you see a notification. We have had 3 or 4 in the last day or so.
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Frank,

Seeing this post I went into the Admin CP and see at the top the "Inactive Users" list two that look legit.

initials JS, joined 12/02/23

initials DM, joined 11/26/23

The rest on the first page look pretty dicey.

I did not see a notification, either in the Board index or the ACP.

What do you think of approving those two, and deleting the rest that look suspect?

Well, no, wait... I guess there are some others that are legit, just joined but haven't posted and so are inactive.

I do want to monitor this along with your and Richard, but I'm not sure how to handle valid regs that are just 'inactive' if this is the only way we have of approving new regs.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Keeping true trash out of this inspired and long running open source fusion site is going to always be dicey. Bad actors and idiots looking to ruin and despoil that which is good and open seems to have an exponential growth of late.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

The inactive users are people or bots that have correctly answered the challenge question but have not yet clicked on the link in the email that this site sends out for them to verify that they have a valid email.

Now, in addition to clicking on the link, one of us has to approve each of them.

I have perpetual login so when I check the page, I will see a NOTIFICATION in the top right corner that somebody needs to be approved. I have just been taking care of it but I can let the next one(s), stay so both of you can see the notification.
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Hello fusor.net, I've been accused before but I'm not a robot. :)

There is a newly registered user group and one of the things you can do is set it so new posts/edits need approval making it easier to identify the spam. The post shows right up in the regular forum and a moderator can approve or disapprove. It's not viewable to anyone else until approved. This is also helps prevent having to guess who needs activation. After X amount of posts they are automagically removed from the group and can post freely.

I'll set that up if you want instead of the admin activation.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Nice to see you TCM!

The forum is currently configured to default new registrants into the New User group. They have somewhat limited privileges and appear yellow to everybody on the board. This helps everybody identify who they are. It works great for real people but it gets complicated when it is not.

One problem is that once registered, a spammer can post a hundred posts if they want. And this has happened. It puts them in the Registered User group and then they are free to do as they please. I lengthened the time required between posts so that slowed down greatly the total number of posts before I get to batch deleting them and their post. The length between posts used to be set longer but Richard and a few other sometimes machine gun post so it is in some middle ground of one minute now.

The other problem as you have mentioned is the validity of their emails. With gmail being the main domain, it is very difficult to know what is a real person and who is not. Shall I activated JerryReed63@gma..... or AhmedRaf@gma....... or both. Turns out, Ahmed was real and Jerry was a spammer. Slight changes to the names to protect the emails but you get the idea.

Nothing easy about something that should not even be a problem. Of all of the spam that has been on the site, who here would even consider anything that has been spread onto the site. It makes not sense but is a pain in the arse.
richnormand

Post by richnormand »

For new registrations many forums now use a two level system that sends an automated code to the registered email that has to be answered within a time limit. Then after a few posts a sms gets to your cell that also has to be answered within a time limit and a note to contact by email if the person does not have a cell. Only then have the posts need to be vetted for a period as you presently do.

The first two parts are automated via a script automatically but are probably effective in removing most bots. Since this site ask for real names a challenge question asked via the provided email is quite reasonable too.

The work done by Frank, Paul and Richard is most appreciated ,CHEERS.
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Frank Sanns wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:08 pm
The forum is currently configured to default new registrants into the New User group.
Post approval is a forum permission and can be set for any group. I took the liberty of making the following changes.
  • Newly registered users will now need post approval. This won't prevent them from posting hundreds of posts but they will only be viewable to moderators. This also applies to edits which will require reapproval. With the ACP tools you can easily clean them up if there is many of them.
  • I reduced the post count for the newly registered group form 10 to 5. When they hit 5 approved posts they will no longer need approval.
  • I put the activation back to user, admin activation is PITA and not very helpful.
One Gotcha! here. If you have a legitimate new user that makes an edit to their post it will need to be approved again. There is no revision so disapproving it will result in the post irretrievably disappearing.
The other problem as you have mentioned is the validity of their emails. With gmail being the main domain, it is very difficult to know what is a real person and who is not. Shall I activated JerryReed63@gma..... or AhmedRaf@gma....... or both. Turns out, Ahmed was real and Jerry was a spammer. Slight changes to the names to protect the emails but you get the idea.

There is not much you can do about this. When you see a username or email account with numbers that is usually a good indication it's a spammer.

I believe you require real names here? That can be set as required field for registration, Not going to be helpful for stopping registrations but it may help you identify the spammers more easily.
who here would even consider anything that has been spread onto the site.

They aren't marketing to your users, they are marketing to search engines with the backlink.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

thecoalman wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:38 pm They aren't marketing to your users, they are marketing to search engines with the backlink.
I think that probably explains a lot.

Except that one rogue operator Frank is convinced is just fucking with us.

If he's real, that guy is a digital Hannibal Lecter, eating our brains...

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."

Return to “Announcements and Site Administration Topics”