Randy's demo fusor

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Randy Van Buskirk

Randy's demo fusor

Post by Randy Van Buskirk »

Here's the demo fusor I put together last year.
Demo Fusor.jpg

I used an Oil burner ignition xfmr with a few microwave diodes to get about 6000 volts
Demo Fusor Obit.jpg

The chamber is a pyrex cylinder clamped together by two aluminum plates with some 1/4 inch bolts.
You can't quite see it but the feedthru is a sparkplug drilled and tapped into the aluminum base and then epoxied in.
Everything but the vacuum pump is attached to a piece of 1/4 inch black plexiglass.
The high voltage area is then surrounded by clear plexiglass.
A couple of mini voltmeters and the appropriate resistors give you the milliamps and kilovolts.
A 901P via the internal RS232 gives the pressure, shown on a homemade arduino Oled display board. (Thanks go out to Finn Hammer)
The 1/4 inch tubing with valve was added to experiment with other gases. (Not yet tried out)
I'm using a Welch 1402 for now but hope to get a smaller HVAC vacuum pump so it can be easily transported, and maybe take it over to the middle school for some show and tell for my granddaughter's class.

Here's a run at 22 micron, 2600V, 12.74ma
Demo Fusor 22 micron.jpg

Cheers,
Randy Van Buskirk
Richard Hull

Re: Randy's demo fusor

Post by Richard Hull »

A nice demo fusor setup. Clean and neat with electrical metering. Good job!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Images du Jour”