What do you suppose is wrong with this pump?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Alexander Ziemecki

What do you suppose is wrong with this pump?

Post by Alexander Ziemecki »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144520199979?m ... media=COPY

A Leybold Trivac D16E Rotary Vane Vacuum Pump, "not working", has been tested and is "NONE functional". All for $149.

What do you suppose is wrong with this thing? How would you go about fixing it? A normally several-thousand-dollars pump for about 150. Seems like it is either a cheap steal, or expensive trash.
Andrew Seltzman

Re: What do you suppose is wrong with this pump?

Post by Andrew Seltzman »

Likely culprits are: broken vanes/bad motor/solidified oil, (or it's fine and the seller just didn't test it and doesn't want a boat anchor sized pump). It's a bit too big for a fusor, even if you do get it working it's a bit of effort to run/move and requires more oil. Consider a leybold d2,5E or a Pfeiffer Duo 1.5A instead, either will pump down a fusor and easily back a diffusion pump or turbo.

I also have a repair walk through on the Pfeiffer Duo 1.5A which may help if you go with this pump
http://www.rtftechnologies.org/general/ ... uo15a.html
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
richnormand

Post by richnormand »

Mine had a metal pin broken on the main shaft. The second stage was stationary due to that.
Once repaired it has been working flawlessly since 2008. They are very reliable if you want to fix it.
Rebuild kits are available too (Duniway MAJ-10169CK).
If you search this site I believe I posted several rebuilding photos in response to someone questions in the past.
richnormand

Post by richnormand »

Found the post helping someone rebuilding a D8.
viewtopic.php?p=26937#p26937
As I said mine is a D16. Depending of your intended application Andrew's comments are quite relevant here.

The other thing to consider when rebuilding any pump is prior usage (that you may or might not know).
For example the D16 was very popular in the semiconductor industry, so it might have been used to pump nasty stuff..... if you do not know take proper precautions to protect yourself until the insides are properly cleaned out.

Return to “New User Chat Area”