Pfeiffer TPH 240/TCP 121

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Rick Van Camp

Pfeiffer TPH 240/TCP 121

Post by Rick Van Camp »

I have seen references made to some of this equipment here so I want to see if anyone can provide me with insight regarding issues I am currently experiencing with them.

My TPH 240 is set up for air cooling using a PC power supply fan. This works fine resulting in vacuum of 10e-5. My only near term need is to fabricate a bracket that I can mount directly to the pump housing so the fan can be mounted more conveniently.

My primary concern at the moment is with the TCP 121. I have manuals for both the pump and controller and I am curious about my real need for the heater in the 121. The manual merely states the user should turn on the heater after turning on the pump but this is in the context of a brief paragraph regarding using the 240 in a water cooling application.

Additionally, I observed today that my 240 was at 75 F and the Edwards XDS10 roughing pump was at 107F. The XDS10 was operating 3F above its peak operating temperature. I did some work on the vacuum system fr a few hours so all of it was disabled for a few hours this morning. After turning on the XDS for ~25 minutes it was already at 98F. Given my these observations from today I suspect the XDS is bad. Can anyone here confirm this or refer me to additional resources so I can obtain a definitive answer?

Thank you,

Rick
JoeBallantyne

Re: Pfeiffer TPH 240/TCP 121

Post by JoeBallantyne »

I have several Welch 1402 mechanical pumps and they run at about 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Takes them a couple of hours to get there, but then they just stay at about that temp as long as I keep them running.

I suspect your pump is just fine. Make sure the oil level looks good, and that the oil visible in the sight glass is clean, and then stop worrying about it.

Joe.
Oscar Anderson

Re: Pfeiffer TPH 240/TCP 121

Post by Oscar Anderson »

Joe, the XDS10 is a dry scroll pump - there is no oil to worry about, just teflon tip seals.

Those temps sound fine to me. We've got XDS35i pumps at the lab I work at, and they run "very warm" to the touch, but not hot. You should be able to hold your hand on them without too much discomfort. 107F is generally fairly tame.

The "heater" function on the TCP121 is to turn on a bakeout heater. Usually this is in the form of a band that wraps around the upper part of the pump body on the turbo. This is important in UHV applications, as bakeout really helps to get rid of water in the system.

If you don't need to get below 10^-7 or 10^-8 Torr, and if you aren't worried about getting down to these pressures as fast awe s possible, you don't need the bakeout heater. If you don't use a bakeout heater, you don't need a whole lot of cooling on the turbo - with a minimal gas load (and especially if you leave the pump in standby) a small fan gently blowing on the motor portion is more than enough. For most plasma physics work, we're deliberately puffing gas into the vacuum system, so we can ignore bakeout.

Speaking of standby, that's the third switch on the TCP121. It runs the turbo at 66% of its max RPM. This is a really nice feature, as it tends to extend the life of the bearings in the pump when you don't need the full pumping speed (hint: 240 L/s is quite a lot).

Return to “New User Chat Area”