Edwards TAG controller

This is the place for your wish list. Let people know what you are looking for. They may have what you want or know somebody that does.
constantinbushofsky

Edwards TAG controller

Post by constantinbushofsky » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:19 pm

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone has an Edwards TAG 24V turbo controller. I got an edwards EXDC pump recently and would rather use the manufacturer's controller/power supply than making my own.
Here's a link to the product page:
https://shop.edwardsvacuum.com/products ... /view.aspx

Thanks!
dH - TdS = 0

John Futter

Re: Edwards TAG controller

Post by John Futter » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:10 pm

your link gives a 404 error "site not found"
this is the reason we always prefer you to load an attachment picture to your post

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:19 pm

Or at least test your link in preview before submitting the post.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:52 am

The link worked from here. Sometimes they break when URL's contain white space characters, since Internet doesn't abhor those enough.

Looks like a nice combination of gauge readout and high level control sequencer in the same box with a high-speed motor driver. I have no such thing to offer.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:59 am

I'm not an expert but I did a little looking at documents and your original post doesn't make sense to me.

The EXDC doesn't seem to be a turbo pump but rather a control module that attaches directly to one of several ETX... turbo pumps. If you have an EXDC mounted on the side of an ETX turbo, it looks like it wouldn't take much to use it. The hard part is you need a DC supply and it seems to be 80V which is not a common value. Then a start/stop switch and optionally a voltmeter to monitor speed.

The TAG controller looks designed to control the whole vacuum system -- backing pump, turbo, valve, vacuum gauge. The controller runs on 24V (not 80V) and connection to turbo doesn't seem to drive the turbo motor, just controls and monitors. But doesn't look compatible with the EXDC driver to me.

So it isn't clear to me what turbo you really have. From your post I assume it has an EXDC driver attached. I can't see how the TAG controller would work in this configuration.

But this is all just from scanning a couple manuals and no direct experience on my part. More info would help.
Rex Allers

Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:35 am

Pfeiffer also has the same type of controller/power supply unit. the DCU series. They also have some oddball voltages, namely 72v and 140v for the larger pumps. I ended up having to buy legitimate 140v Pfieffer power supply off ebay for my big turbo.

constantinbushofsky

Post by constantinbushofsky » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:53 pm

My bad, didn't include enough information in my original post. The EXDC controllers come in 80V and 24V versions for the associated regular and low-power turbos. I have a 24V turbo with the corresponding EXDC. I understand that it would be pretty (read: extremely) easy to make a controller myself, but the added bonus of having the active gauge controller integrated would be really nice. The 15 pin D-Sub on the TAG goes to the EXDC. I have the manual for the 24v version if you'd want to see it. I had to contact Edwards myself to get the manual. Edwards must not be very proud of the 24V turbos because I can't seem to find even a single mention of their existence from Edwards, but there are a ton available for sale on Ebay and Ideal Vacuum.
dH - TdS = 0