Reliable Mechanical Pump for Fusion

This is the place for your wish list. Let people know what you are looking for. They may have what you want or know somebody that does.
Joshua Guertler

Reliable Mechanical Pump for Fusion

Post by Joshua Guertler » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:36 pm

Greetings,

I was curious if someone had (or knew of) a reliable mechanical pump that would be usable for establishing a 10^-5 torr (minimum of 10^-4 torr) vacuum for fusion.

Unfortunately, I'm in a bit of a rush with the shipping of items, as I have a final deadline of this Monday (March 3rd) to get the reactor up and running. As someone who lives in Rhode Island, sellers that I'd normally go to (i.e. LDS) won't be able to get the pump shipped in time, as I'm looking to start mechanical pump testing by Friday at the latest.

If possible, I was also hoping for a pump that has an opening that could fit a 1/2" OD copper pipe or could adapt to one. Thank you.

As a quick side note, I would be happy to rent out a pump for 1 week. Seeing as I'm a student at Barrington High School (hence the email, guertlerj21@barringtonschools.org), I can supply plenty of collateral to ensure that i'll be held responsible.

Dan Knapp

Re: Reliable Mechanical Pump for Fusion

Post by Dan Knapp » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:24 pm

You can buy a refrigeration pump at your local Harbor Freight in Warwick. You are not going to get 10-5 Torr with a mechanical pump.

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:11 pm

Greetings Mr. Knapp,

The pump will be used alongside a diffusion pump. The diffusion pump has a pumping rate of 100 L/s. Thank you.

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:17 am

Great development! I was talking with Torr Industries and they offered to lend me a 10 CFM 15 mTorr mechanical pump (a DV-285N Platinum) for my system.

I really must say that these guys, particularly Mike Droney, are some of the best guys you'll come across when dealing with vacuum components. I' going to make a small post in the "items for sale" section to hopefully give them a bit of a boost in business. Their original owner recently passed, causing the company to go through some tough times. They're a small group (3 employees max) but are the best vacuum guys in the North East.