Welch 1402 (or comperable) Roughing Pump

This is the place for your wish list. Let people know what you are looking for. They may have what you want or know somebody that does.
Maxwell_Epstein

Welch 1402 (or comperable) Roughing Pump

Post by Maxwell_Epstein » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:27 pm

Hey all!

I'm very close to first light in my Fusor 1 system, but my current pump (a cheap HVAC pump) is unable to pump down low enough to continue. A vacuum engineer recommended that I get a Welch 1402 pump as my next step, but I'm open to any pump that I can use a diff pump with once I get there (so below 30 microns, I think, but ideally lower). I have found a few offerings on eBay, but was hoping that someone here would have a pump that actually pumps down below 30 microns (I know that things can be damaged in shipping, but the eBay sellers would not confirm that their pumps worked for them before shipping). My budget is relatively low, around $350. If you have a pump that you would be willing to sell, please private message me or email me at maxe731@gmail.com.

Thanks!
Max E.
I'm a high school student and aspiring fusioneer
See my needlessly verbose fusor blog here: https://highschool-fusioneer.medium.com/!

Joe Gayo

Re: Welch 1402 (or comperable) Roughing Pump

Post by Joe Gayo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Search ebay for Pfeiffer Duo Vacuum Pump or Precision
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRECISION-VACU ... 2624365553

$350 is a big budget for a used roughing pump and 30mTorr should be easy

Quickly looked at your blog... I wouldn't buy from Kurt J Lesker. Check out LDSVacuum if you want new and can't find it on eBay.

Aidan_Roy

Post by Aidan_Roy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:57 pm

Hi Max,

I sent an email your way, hope your interested.

Aidan

Maxwell_Epstein

Post by Maxwell_Epstein » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:56 am

Thank you very much, both Mr. Hull and Mr. Gayo. I'm continuing to look at the eBay listings for the pumps that you recommend. Besides the pump, I have everything else set up for first light of my new demo so I'm going to chase leaks and try to get low enough to create plasma with my HVAC pump temporarily before I get my hands on a D25 or similar. Thank you again for your expertise and advice!

Mr. Roy, Thank you for your email! I have read through it and sent a response. I hope we can continue to talk about your Bacoeng 2.5cfm pump as it seems like a good alternative to the D25 with your guarantee that it can reach 8 microns.

Thank you all again,
Max E.
See my needlessly verbose fusor blog here: https://highschool-fusioneer.medium.com/!

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:10 am

Make sure the pump you acquire, if oil rotary vane, has two stages.

Maxwell_Epstein

Post by Maxwell_Epstein » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:41 pm

Thank you all again for your advice. I just ordered the D25 pump from the eBay listing provided by Mr. Gayo as the reseller looks reputable. When the pump arrives, I will follow the reconditioning guide in the FAQ, although I expect that the pump will operate properly. Once I clean the pump, is there a specific brand of normal vacuum oil that you recommend for the D25?

Thanks!
Max E.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:14 pm

Any vacuum pump oil spec'd for belt drive pumps offered by a vacuum dealer will do. I would get the most common type and not some specialty oil like the hyper expensive fomblin. Such a common oil should be less than $50/gallon. I have even gone to a refrigeration supply house and used direct drive pump oil which was under $30.00/gallon for cleaning as you might be throwing away up to two or more fills if the pump is filthy. Once you are "draining clean", use the proper, good oil.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:12 pm

When I purchased my D25 from eBay, many years ago, it had been sitting idle for some time. Before turning it on, I removed the belt cover and manually turned the belt/wheel until it seemed smooth.

Return to “Items wanted”