Cutting down nipples/ electric field

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
David Kunkle

Cutting down nipples/ electric field

Post by David Kunkle »

I'll probably be taking everything to the weld shop this week. I'm thinking about cutting down the excess tubing on the conflate nipples- leaving enough to get bolts on. Will this have any effect on keeping the electric field consistent throughout the chamber? This is more for other projects down the road- I realize even the shape of the chamber doesn't have much, if any, effect on fusor performance.
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
Chris Bradley

Re: Cutting down nipples/ electric field

Post by Chris Bradley »

Probably not, but difficult to tell without seeing a schematic of what you are suggesting. You should try to avoid scenarios where there is a line of sight from the electrode to anything that you don't want 'beamed' with electrons (gauges, etc.).
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

I have laid out the fittings so no electron beams are hitting anything sensitive. I've decided to only cut down the largest nipple and leave the rest as is. Can't imagine at this point that cutting about an inch off all those nipples will have any appreciable effect- just blow a bunch extra money and time.
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Why cut anything down
the field disruption is the edges of the opening not how deep the opening is.
High vacuum ionisation gauges should have an extra right angle from the main plasma chamber to limit live ions from inflating the vacuum reading within the ion gauge that is producing it's own ions

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”