Demo Fusor

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
charlie_mccartney

Demo Fusor

Post by charlie_mccartney »

After being inspired by looking at a few post I have decided to use some of my savings on a demo fusor and I was wondering which one of these HV supplys would work and does anyone know where I can get a decently priced demo fusor pump.
Charlie McCartney
charlie.mccartney1104@gmail.com
charliespersonalproject.weebly.com
charlie_mccartney

Re: Demo Fusor

Post by charlie_mccartney »

Charlie McCartney
charlie.mccartney1104@gmail.com
charliespersonalproject.weebly.com
Carl Willis

Re: Demo Fusor

Post by Carl Willis »

All of these are standard neon sign transformers (NSTs). All are suitable for demo fusor power supplies. The use of NSTs is covered thoroughly in the FAQs and archived discussions.

Suitable vacuum pumps regularly show up on eBay for under $100. Search local sources like Craigslist or lab auctions too, because shipping is a large fraction of total cost on these pumps. The best pumps in this price range are belt-driven two-stage rotary-vane types exemplified by the Welch DuoSeal, HyVac, and Precision Scientific brands. Excellent two-stage direct-drive rotary-vane pumps made by Alcatel, Edwards, Varian, Pfeiffer, and some others are also available. The other option you have is a new direct-drive refrigeration service pump made in China. These are attractive mostly to impatient people who have to get something that works (sort of) right now.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”