The long awaited 1.33" Fusor construction write up.

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
TannerOates

Re: The long awaited 1.33" Fusor construction write up.

Post by TannerOates »

Indeed. Using the classic I=E/R where I=current,E=voltage(9 in this case), and R=resistance(1 in this case). So this would be about 9A, but that sounds very high, so would it be 9ma? I make no claim to electrical knowledge, just trying to learn. Again, I am getting the much larger electrical feedthrough which will help the arcing problem.
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

I think the very simplest approach is to stick a multimeter on the two pins of the Glassman power supply voltage sense output.

You need no additional equipment, no challenging analysis, nothing but a multimeter.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Tanner, if you can make little claim to electrical knowledge then how can we expect you to claim fusion in this case?

The ohms law example was given by Rich Feldman to show that your computation of 9 amperes is correct, but the precise and correct math versus real world knowledge and hands on experience clash here. The nine volt battery has a high internal impedance, (You need to know your source of voltage intimately), and will never allow the correctly calculated 9 amps to flow. Instead, the battery will buckle under the load and its terminal voltage might drop to, say, 0.08 volts instead of 9 volts and you may only draw .08/1 or 80 milliamps.

This is obviously what happens in a neon sign transformer and your Spellman supply.

Only hands-on electrical experience or, barring that, full metering of the circuit will tell the true tale of what you have.

Carl is correct! Use your Spellman provided divider and hook up a digital multimeter to it while your system is in glow mode.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
TannerOates

Post by TannerOates »

This is the much more capable feedthrough I will be using. As you can see on the ATM side, there is FAR more insulation and the feedthrough stalk material is much more substantial. Well, to be fair, I claimed fusion the first time using a bubble detector and comparing the background bubble count to the count near the reactor, besides for that, I am hoping to learn more about electrical engineering through these projects for if I already knew everything, there would be no point in the construction. Yes, I am in the process of making a precision controller with Volt and Amp control as well as the read out. More to come.

T.O.
Attachments
Photo on 2013-02-27 at 19.26.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Looks much better on the outside, but that inside is still very cramped at really high voltages. We will await your report and proof offered up later.

I'll bet that sucker cost a gang o' bread.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”