Nupro Shut-off + Metering valve?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Jack Puntawong

Nupro Shut-off + Metering valve?

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Nupro - SS-4BK (BMG)-TSW

I've receive this item from Bill but I couldn't find any information on the internet about it. It seems to be a combination between a Shut-off valve and Metering valve. I'm sorry that I'm unable to provide you guys with more information. In fact, I couldn't find any information about Nupro company. This is the information of a similar unit that is on the top half of the valve from Swagelok indicating a flow coefficient of 0.019 Cv.

http://www.swagelok.com/downloads/WebCa ... -01-23.pdf

The top half of the valve has number 0-24: indicating one revolution. The maximum turn I could is around three revolution.

The lower half of the valve does not have any number. I'm assuming that this acts as a shut-off valve.

I'm planning to use this unit to feed deuterium gas from the electrolysis system to the chamber. I do not have experience in dealing with valves like this so I want to ask you guys first. Better be safe than sorry. I'm buying some VCR fittings from Andrew Seltzman and he is offering me some metering feedthrough. However, I don't want to spend money on something that I might already have.

1. Is this unit consider to be a sufficient metering valve for controlling deuterium gas ?

2. Do I need a shut-off valve ? ( I'm operating at 1 atm)

3. Does the Nupro company have any website ? I can't find one...

Thanks,

Jack Puntawong
Attachments
62976_10151379974992859_1397699130_n.jpg
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Re: Nupro Shut-off + Metering valve?

Post by Tyler Christensen »

0.019 cv is a bit rough for a fusor, although you might be able to play with it to get just the right setting. It'll be effectively not at all open, and if you even touch it it'll be too far open from there. I have a 10-turn 0.004 cv full scale valve and it's almost as described, with maybe a 20 degree rotation away from shut off of useful range. That 0.004 one I use is the SS-SS4 which is pretty common in the fusor community. Last I checked many years ago, it was the finest needle valve Swagelok produces.

The bottom valve looks like a full shutoff which is nice, as low-flow needle valves can't shut-off.
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

I guess that I will have to upgrade the system later to enable a better control of deuterium flow. I think that I'll have to live with this for now because I have only VCR fittings and VCR to CF reducer from Bill. I'm glade that it works even if its not the greatest valve for fusor. The picture I attached bellow is the system I had planned out.

The 1/4" plastic tubing will be connected to the deuterium dryer and deuterium generator via electrolysis.

The VCR side will be connected to the VCR to 1.33" CF reducer. The other VCR will be connected to a 275 mini convection gauge. The CF opening will be close of course.

By the way, Tyler, does SS-SS4 have any VCR fittings ? I'm assuming that the model has only Swagelok fittings.
Attachments
398141_10151380133852859_214233367_n.jpg
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Jack Puntawong wrote:
> I'm planning to use this unit to feed deuterium gas from the electrolysis system to the chamber.

Jack, I recommend you read and inwardly digest the following FAQ (of course I would recommend it, that's why I wrote it!);

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3224#p12734
Jack Puntawong

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Chris,

Thank you! I wasn't aware that there is a simple but ingenious solution of a self regulating flow control. ( I wasn't even aware that I need a flow control) However, you clearly mention that you used
" 1” long needle with a 0.21mm ID, and thread a 0.18mm wire" and that " and " if the needle is 0.215 instead of 0.205 then you might find the flow rate is double the expected rate". So I'll have to do many trial and errors to find the right wire diameter size. By the way, where did you acquire such thin wire ?

Jack Puntawong
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

It's a pretty standard wire. If you strip regular cable I expect you'll find this sort of size, ~ AWG33 strands, used in some of them.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”