Mini-five minute fusor

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Carl Smith

Mini-five minute fusor

Post by Carl Smith »

I was inspired by Mark Rowley's five minute fusor and I decided to make one myself. I was able to cut a two inch long piece of one inch diameter borsillicate glass that was .18 inches thick. I used a sparkplug as a feedthrough. I used npt piping and an alcatel 2008 pump as my roughing pump. What amazed me was that I was able extinguish my plasma after a few seconds of pumping my system downg. I only had an AC power supply that was available though so I couldn't get a star mode. The first three pictures show the fabrication of the stainless steel grid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LxNMS8E ... e=youtu.be
Attachments
mini fusor.jpg
1356901975016.jpg
1356901975016.jpg (11.08 KiB) Viewed 6289 times
1356571663884.jpg
1356571663884.jpg (20 KiB) Viewed 6289 times
1356755868958.jpg
1356755868958.jpg (20.14 KiB) Viewed 6289 times
1356813880561.jpg
1356813880561.jpg (17.46 KiB) Viewed 6289 times
Richard Hull

Re: Mini-five minute fusor

Post by Richard Hull »

Carl,

In spite of the very crude effort, you just made the plasma club. It just takes the doing and the showing and you made that grade. I hope you continue to higher levels of achievement.

A DC supply will do a lot to help out and see the glow in a totally different light, so to speak.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Carl Smith

Post by Carl Smith »

I'm already in the plasma club Richard, I'm conducting research with my large fusor at NC State. I'm just using this smaller fusor as a spectrometer source since I want to monitor plasma coloration and plasma purveyance at different voltages. In my new lab I have a new roughing pump, an turbo pump and deuterium. I'm upgrading my labs power supply from 30 kv at 100 mA to something that has a higher voltage (with the upper limits being around 100 KV).
Attachments
2.0 2.jpg
2.0 1.jpg
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Looks like you are going to put a RGA on there with that IPC-2 pressure converter?
Carl Smith

Post by Carl Smith »

I'm not sure about a pressure controller but I do have a controller for my varian 524 ion gauge hhead. I replaced the electrical pnuematic gate in the lower picture with a hand cranked gate.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Sorry for the mixup Carl. I have made the corrections in the plasma listing. I just did not look far enough back up the list when I added your name.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Carl Smith

Post by Carl Smith »

I should be getting a diode today so I should be able to rectify my power supply from AC to pulsed DC. If I do get confinement then would this fusor be smaller than Rowley's?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I think the word "fusor" means fusing or neutron producing and proven to be doing fusion to the peer group here that are already doing fusion.

A "demo fusor" is a demo fusor, a fusor act- alike and look-alike. Size issues relate to the type of device in question. A demo fusor, in theory, could be made the size of a golf ball.

Richard Hull
Carl Smith

Post by Carl Smith »

Here's a smaller version of the mini five minute fusor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ-hrlZs ... T6OSA1D_yY

In hindsight I should have made the grid much smaller and I should have added more insulation to the conductor. My power supply was a negatively biased DC source though.
Attachments
2013-01-04_00-25-36_103.jpg
Mike Veldman

Post by Mike Veldman »

Here are a couple of pictures of some tiny demo fusors I made up a few years back. The second one is the smallest I made during my quest for tinyness. It's made from a jelly sample jar, about 1 ounce in size, pretty close to the size of a golf ball. The other two are an olive jar and a baby food jar. There are several more pictures of these and their assembly on my FB page if you are interested.

mike
Attachments
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-011S (2).JPG
I tried to contain myself, but I escaped.
aka47

Post by aka47 »

Nice

I like those. It is interesting how small and simple the construction can be.
Carl Smith

Post by Carl Smith »

Mt smallest device had an OD of .375 inches while my grid was less than 1/8th of an inch in diameter
GRMaura

Post by GRMaura »

I like the design of your fusor can I ask you some questions pertaining to the glass it made out of and what temp and pressure it at

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”