Demo Fusor - First Test Runs with Pictures

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
davidgrzan

Demo Fusor - First Test Runs with Pictures

Post by davidgrzan »

I have recently finished constructing my demo fusor and wanted to share my progress along with some pictures. I don't think I will be moving on to actual fusion because college is soon and it would cost quite a bit of money to convert this into a fusor. I still need to perform my experiment on it and to find ways to collect data, which will be done in the near future as I will be entering this into a regional science fair in February

Main components:
15kv 30ma NST
Welch 1400 vacuum pump
5A variac
spark plug feedthrough
stainless steel wire for inner and outer grid

The grids are temporary because the first grid I made with solder melted, and the outer grid is slowly falling apart. I might be able to assemble the outer grid with screws if I use copper tubing.

For the testing I will be oscillating the inner grid's voltage somewhere in the megahertz range, like POPS. I have been trying to figure out how to wire a LC circuit into the DC output to get a high frequency. Does anybody know how to do this? I've seen some wiring diagrams here but I'm not sure if it will work. I know the basic principle behind it but I don't have any idea on how to make an output. This would be my main concern at this moment.

I have filled the vacuum chamber with helium and have taken pictures of the resulting effect which is seen in the last 3 pictures.

I will reply to this post with a youtube video shortly after I make it.
Attachments
IMG_0583.jpg
IMG_0581.jpg
IMG_0580.jpg
IMG_0561.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg
IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0543.jpg
IMG_0538.jpg
IMG_0547.jpg
IMG_0513.jpg
Carl Smith

Re: Demo Fusor - First Test Runs with Pictures

Post by Carl Smith »

Very nice bell jar
Tidbit77

Post by Tidbit77 »

Great work! Reminds me very much of my first demo fusor! Are you planning to push for fusion?
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

You might want to get a shatter guard for the jar. There is a lot of energy stored in a bell jar under vacuum and with a fusor you can get e-beams spot heating the glass.

As a professor at PSU once told me, 'plosions are bad, does not matter if they are EX or IM, 'plosions are bad. He has seen glass put through the equivalent of a car door from an imploding bell jar.
John Taylor

Post by John Taylor »

Nice pictures! Congratulations on your demo success. Are you planning on working toward fusion?
davidgrzan

Post by davidgrzan »

Here is the youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN1iDN-5QXs

I have mechanically assembled a new outer grid today using 1/4" copper tubing. It's a lot better than the solder I used to connect my first grid because it was falling apart.
Attachments
IMG_0588.jpg
IMG_0586.jpg
IMG_0584.jpg
davidgrzan

Post by davidgrzan »

Will Jack,

I remember seeing the pictures you had of your demo fusor and of your videos too! Didn't you do something with a science fair? I am really curious to what it's like as I'm going into this solo and have no experience with science fairs. Unfortunately I am not moving on to fusion because I'm going off to college next year and it's really expensive to get a chamber. It would be great if I could though.

It appears that you gave me the idea of using the copper tubing for the grid because I remembered that somebody used it in their fusor so I decided to try it. I guess you were the guy who did the copper tubing.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Nice work and excellent images, David. I have added you to the Plasma club listing.

Keep up the good work.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”