Heavy water electrolysis with HHO generator

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
clarkmcc

Heavy water electrolysis with HHO generator

Post by clarkmcc »

Was just thinking about a cheaper way to get deuterium and I thought that an HHO generator might help. I am not familiar with this device, all I know is that it separates water into hydrogen and oxygen and sends the hydrogen down a tube to be used for a gas source in a car. The output could then be hooked up to a dryer thing as well. I have know idea if it combines the H and O atoms to make a more flammable substance in which case it would not work so well as a deuterium supply. Last I checked, they are on ebay for about $50 - $200. Do you have any ideas? Thanks!

Clark M.
David D Speck MD

Re: Heavy water electrolysis with HHO generator

Post by David D Speck MD »

Clark,

There have been a number of discussions recently on this group about use of electrolysis to get D2 fro D2O. Use the search function and you will find them.

Dave
Nick Peskosky

Post by Nick Peskosky »

Clark,

Not to be critical but you should probably remove the notion of "HHO" from your technical vocabulary. Stoichiometrically speaking, when any isotope of water is electrolyzed via a DC potential, the evolved gas will always be diatomic in nature (H2, O2). The ratio of gas production will be 2:1 by volume but you will never encounter a non-covalently bonded oxygen molecule at macro-level laboratory conditions.

Like David said, these types of devices have already been discussed at length in this forum.

-Nick
Nick Peskosky
NPeskosky@gmail.com

"The whole of science is nothing more than the refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein
clarkmcc

Post by clarkmcc »

I know, but the device is commonly referred to as an HHO generator or a Brown's Gas generator.
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Clark McCauley wrote:
> I know, but the device is commonly referred to as an HHO generator or a Brown's Gas generator.

As Nick said, get HHO out of your vocabulary for discussions here.

You are free to say "HHO" and "Brown's Gas" in forums dedicated to the related pseudoscience. Perhaps that term's too harsh. Many honest people spend words and money attempting to make their car engines more efficient with HHO. And there is no shortage of people selling books, kits, parts, etc.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydrogen-H2-Coi ... 0771090716
Why do you think the major auto manufacturers are not incorporating HHO technology to get an edge on their competitors?
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

I can't really complain about the terminology. Sure, I wonder where "HHO" came from, and there's no doubt that a whole realm of pseudoscience has cropped up around hydrogen generators installed in car engines for the putative purpose of improving fuel economy. But "HHO" does seem to be an established term referring to oxy-hydrogen generators. Googling this term reveals that a lot of bona fide manufacturers embrace it. I remember being told to get an HHO generator by a glassblower for use on quartz.

The more important point is to really work through the archives and understand the wealth of information already present on this subject. Because there have been a number of fairly recent projects documented. I am sure those builders would be happy to help out with any specifics if you were to adopt their ideas.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

From what I have seen from the free-energy whackos they think that the hydrogen and oxygen stay mon-atomic in gas. Yeah... really...

Electrolysis torch systems are common in the jewelry business. People post these things on the internet claiming it is new tech when it has been around for a very long time.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”