Wieder Labs?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
kernd

Re: Wieder Labs?

Post by kernd » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Well, there it is, he put it on ebay just like he said he would: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Spherical-Fu ... 4488903%26

I'm incredulous that a business would act in this fashion.

But you guys are right... I'll turn around and put the money into tooling and scrounging and end up with something much better in the long term!

RobertTubbs

Post by RobertTubbs » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:36 pm

A CAD of it, I doubt he's even built it.

RT

kernd

Post by kernd » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:56 pm

No, I have no doubt that he built it. He's replaced the image on the auction with an actual picture of the chamber. I realize that early on he had some quality issues, but I don't believe that is the case now. And the pricing really is fair, when you look at how much a 12" conflat flange costs, for example.

In further discussions with him, we've discovered that the status email he intended to send me on the 13th indicating he was waiting on copper gaskets was stuck in his outbox. Had I actually received it things would have turned out differently.

I'm sure someone will end up with a really nice chamber at least... He'd take interior photos I'm sure, if asked.

Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:59 am

Bizarre.

I don't know what charges a credit card processor will levy against merchants who get hit with a service-quality chargeback on a $3000 bill, but it's probably not trivial. At some point the processor will probably just kill his account if he picks up a history of these. And yet, looking at the reasons why it happened, it boils down to routine communication (lack thereof).

The scrounging advice is good, but a lot of times people will still need some assistance with a machining job or welding in order to realize their particular vision. I recommend checking out the machine shops in one's local area. One advantage of working locally is that it is easy to inspect the work, go over drawings, and deliver materials to the machinist. For university students, on-campus machine shops often provide greatly-discounted services as long as the project can be classified as a legitimate university project.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277

John Taylor

Post by John Taylor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:59 am

I like the configuration you chose with the larger "top and bottom" plus the 8 equally spaced smaller ports. I have a similar chamber (6") made by Mr. Weider. That many ports was needed by me for an experiment that required symmetry, but I would ask myself if I really need that many openings with the increased price and things to seal. Of course, having extra ports is nice for the increased flexibility. I have been happy with my layout, but those 8 ports are sealed with feedthroughs and I never change them.

kernd

Post by kernd » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:14 am

When I thought it through I did actually come up with a need for a fairly decent number of ports... not necessarily 8, but easily 6 in some cases. I was planning on using the chamber for more purposes than just as a fusor - which is why I went with all knife-edge fittings because some of the projects would require high vacuum (or better - which is out of reach for my system, for now).

Where do folks obtain their SS 304 hemispheres from? I saw a post from a few years ago that mentioned Wagner... is that still the best source?

Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Post by Tyler Christensen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:21 am

I got them at Sharpe Products, and I think that's the cheapest place unless something has changed recently. It was some $30 for two 6" hemispheres (prices of many years ago) which I found quite affordable.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:10 pm

The SS hemispheres are dirt cheap! A non-issue. The conflat fittings will drain money fast, but there is no escaping them in a true experimental chamber that may need frequent entry with easy and reliable, vacuum tight resealing.

Junk chambers on e-bay from simple CF crosses to discarded semi-fab chambers can be found very cheap. NOTE* cheap chambers on ebay with lots of ports especially large ones can be a snare to the feet as blank-offs for flanges 6"or larger will eat you alive. Purchase wisely.

If I were building chambers for profit, I would give an upfront estimate of cost as well as delivery time. On the chamber in question here I would have demanded a 3 month lead time!!! If the buyer didn't like this time frame I would tell him to go elsewhere.

I would have taken images as I built and forwarded them to the buyer to show some progress at least on his chamber. Simple confidence building measures like this would afford mutual trust and confidence that thing were moving along, albeit slowly.

I fear over eagerness on the part of the buyer and rather poor interim communications on the part of the maker, doomed this effort. Buyers are typically eager to get what they pay for, especially if the job is prepaid. The builder needs to stress that anything from his work load environment changing to part acquistion issues could drag out the process, promising instant communications if problems arise.

My guess is the starting bid on e-bay just covers only the parts seen in the image. If it goes that cheap when the gavel falls, If I were the builder, I would be so disgusted that I would never build another fusor for anyone or change the contract clauses to insure the buyer knew the score, up front.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.