Please help with grid.

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
TannerOates

Please help with grid.

Post by TannerOates »

I would have neutrons today if I could get help with this questions. I have a 1/4-20 threaded feedthrough and I need to know a good way to attach the grid to that. Als once I have that I will need to insulate it, so the method of connection need to be round. I cannot find a stainless steel stand off that has those exact specs.... Please help.
Attachments
Photo on 2012-01-15 at 12.29.jpg
Steven Sesselmann

Re: Please help with grid.

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Hi Tanner,

Have you seen this post, on the Rosenstiel method?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2706&hilit=ROSENSTI ... HOD#p12216

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Post by Tyler Christensen »

Just a warning that I discovered through accident, anything made of a soft metal threaded on near the grid will permanently weld onto the threading. In my case that was aluminum. Copper would likely do alright, at least better than aluminum.
Conrad Farnsworth

Post by Conrad Farnsworth »

Tanner,

My method involved dying the stock of the feedthrough and then using a butt splice (with the plastic cut off) that has been tapped with the same pitch and diameter. It looks like you will probably be needing to use the Rosenstiel method as a medium to put your grid on...then tap the SS tube and screw it onto the feedthrough. One more tip...try to keep the stock from rotating as you die it. You could break the ceramic.

-Conrad Farnsworth

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”