Re: Fusion chamber has arrived

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
scinut

Post by scinut »

Hello James,
Very inspiring photos for me. So Far, I have had no real challenges in gathering the necessary parts for my own fusor, except deuterium and my own lack of knowledge on interfacing, as in valves and controllers vs. remote manual or local manual. It is too early for me to purchse any gas now, but I would at least like to know which way I should go regarding electrolysis or a nice lecture bottle full of dry ready to use gas. So far, I have reeived 3 non-responses and 1 saying only if I buy 5,000L??? May I ask what your source is, and whether or not it was much trouble to secure, cost, etc.? I like the shutoff valves you have used. Good for isolation. What do you have planned for vacuum control? Thank you for posting your photos.
Jerry
Tyler Christensen
Site Admin

Post by Tyler Christensen »

I've done both electrolysis as well as pure deuterium gas and as cool as electrolysis of fusion fuel is, the fusion yields are far lower with the electrolysis (since you're just not going to get highly pure deuterium in a simple electrolysis setup). You could likely spend a lot of money and time on an exceptional electrolysis setup and actually do nearly as well as with a bottle of deuterium, but unless that's your experimental goal or a great interest, I wouldn't personally spend the time on that.

That said, I know someone did break a million neutrons per second on electrolysis, so it's not impossible to use, it's just often impractical and lacks the purity that the supply from a gas supplier will give you.

As far as getting the stuff, everyone pretty much has a different story there. I think I'm just about the luckiest of anyone I've heard from, I walked into AirGas, placed an order, came back in two weeks, gave them money, and left with the D2, they don't even know who I was. Most people have to either be affiliated with a business or fill out endless paperwork and safety plans, etc. I got my 50L bottle through AirGas, cost $270 last year. I don't know what the person who said you need 5000L was talking about, that's simply not true. I've used about 1.5L of my bottle in a year, even heavy users like Richard Hull get many years out of one 50L lecture bottle.
scinut

Post by scinut »

Hi Tyler,
Airgas? Thank you for that information. The company with the 5,000L minimum also said I would have to fill out some forms, and they would be sent to the "board" for approval. Evidently, "there is the possibilty of misuse"??? I replied that based on that fear of misuse, it seemed curious they won't sell me a lecture bottle full, but would give me 5,000L upon approval??? I do have a company, but I do not think a fossil business is what they had in mind. Dinosaur bone neutron scan? At my age, I think it wise to buy the gas rather than learn the art to electrolyze it myself. Perhaps, I will receive a reply from the other 3 sources? Oh well, upward and onward!
Jerry

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”