Fusor Chamber Construction

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
jrhunger

Fusor Chamber Construction

Post by jrhunger »

Hey, I have been researching on the forums for a while to determine which chamber design I want to use. I have decided on the spherical design. I was curious if this would work well for the hemispheres, and wheat else I need. (I know WHAT I need I just don't what it's called/how to look for it.)

http://sharpeproducts.thomasnet.com/ite ... /h600-ss-2?

P.S. I do have access to TIG welding and Machining.
Brian McDermott

Re: Fusor Chamber Construction

Post by Brian McDermott »

Those are the exact hemispheres many people here have been using. Just make sure that whatever you want weld to it is the same 304 stainless alloy and that you do all your welding on the inside surface of the hemispheres.
ngawel

Post by ngawel »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how does one weld two 6" metal hemispheres together from the inside?
Linda Haile

Post by Linda Haile »

Very carefully, Nicholas.

You bolt the two halves together after welding on flanges.
myID

Post by myID »

Sorry Lyn-

I guess you are wrong here- you have to do it very, VERY carefully, Nicholas...

Btw: It makes it much easier if you use a really powerful shrinker and shrink yourself to about 1"- then you can easily sit inside the sphere to weld it from the inside...

And: NO- you can not use a modificated fusor to shrink humans- even if it is easy to gain many Gigawatt of electrical energy from it....

The Forum Today in August 2010
Linda Haile

Post by Linda Haile »

Thanks for correcting me Roman, I really ought to do my homework before posting
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Jarek - a fusor is not a thing to learn welding on - if you are not already a good welder it is better to employ one - a tiny porous leak can take weeks to find and can break your heart.
dbrown

Post by dbrown »

A glass fusor chamber (a large glass cylinder - if you are interested, I can post a company that sells very thick walled, pre-cut short glass cylinders) and then just add simple aluminum end plates with a gasket seal or even glass plates (easy to drill for feed thru's) could be created and done very cheaply (compared to paying a welder). When I finally finish my main project, that is the way I was planning on building a fusor. Just a thought - some here have made such and they are really beautiful looking fusors.
Brian McDermott

Post by Brian McDermott »

You don't weld the hemispheres together, you weld them to flanges first, then bolt them together.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”